Radio programme on TeamSky and the TdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
On Radio 4 at 11 o'clock today:

"No Briton has ever won the world's greatest cycling race, the Tour de France. In this programme journalist and broadcaster Jim White looks at the attempt to get a Briton across the finish line for the first time in the event's 107-year-history.

The man behind Great Britain's extraordinary success in track cycling at the last three Olympics, Dave Brailsford, is masterminding the team that is considered to have a reasonable shot at triumph in this gruelling 2,000 mile jaunt around the mountains, valleys and plains of France which takes place over three weeks in July.

The multiple Olympic and World gold medallist Bradley Wiggins is the key man in the nine man squad that will race in the colours of TeamSky. The British based broadcaster has put up the money to fund the project as part of its wider commitment to get a million Britons to take up cycling.

Jim spoke to Dave Brailsford and other members of the team as they prepared for the start of the first classic of the season, the Giro D'Italia, which this year peddled off with a sprint event through the streets of Amsterdam."

MajorMantra

Cheers, will have a listen.

Oh, and...

Alan H said:

...fail :wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
It was good. Not a single mention of cyclists not paying road tax, cycling on pavements or helmets. It was just about Team SKY's and David Brailsford's missions for UK cycling. I thought they had Cav on briefly but wasn't sure. Started of with the large haul of Olympic Gold medals for TeamGB cycling. They did mention the Tour Greats Armstrong, Indurain and Contador as the man currently to beat. But strangely no mention of how clean the sport isn't. They did mention several times the death of Tommy Simpson on Ventoux but didn't mention he died because he was drugged up to his eyeballs. Certainly worth listening to.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Yep - Mark Mavendish is in there "sometimes laughing at Football players complaining about playing 3 games a week... and we are cycling 6 hours a day for 21 days solid"

Skip Madness

Alan H said:
"Jim spoke to Dave Brailsford and other members of the team as they prepared for the start of the first classic of the season, the Giro D'Italia, which this year peddled off with a sprint event through the streets of Amsterdam."

If anyone needed evidence of how far the BBC needs to go until it "gets" cycling, this paragraph should be all you require...

Keith Oates

Janner
I enjoyed listening to the recording which I thought was very good but from what we have seen so far this year Sky have a hard task ahead to reach their goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Keith Oates said:
I enjoyed listening to the recording which I thought was very good but from what we have seen so far this year Sky have a hard task ahead to reach their goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wiggins has a chance, Keith, albeit a slim one (about 9 stone wringing wet)

Boassen Hagen in the near future is a possibility and if that fails they can always splash the cash on Contador!

Top Bottom