1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raid Pyreneen

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by 531c, 17 Mar 2008.

1. 531c

531c New Member

Hi there...first time poster, long time lurker - looking for some advice.

Has anyone done the tourist version of the Raid Pyreneen? This is a 790km route crossing 28 mountain passes, along the length of the Pyrenees.

I'm a reasonably experienced road cyclist and I've done a few Etapes and a fair amount of riding in the Alps/Pyrenees, so I'm familiar with the demands of riding the big cols, but I've never done any touring.

Would it be feasible to do the Raid solo and unsupported? I was thinking of taking a tent and completing the route (West to East?) in 7-8 days, sometime in June.

2. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Last year 2 of us did the tourist version from East to West in late June arriving at the start by European Bike Express to Perpignan. We had a tent each and tended to go at our own pace, meeting up at intervals. This was just as well as one evening we were a col apart!

Bikes used were both expedition style with 26" x 1.75" slicks and Mtb gears and finding campsites was no problem except on the 2nd day on the east side when we had to detour a fair way.

Weather started very hot ( 34C) going down to a wet 8C on the col d'Aubisque with low cloud. At that temp I started to seize up on the descents which wasn't a good idea! The worst descent was the Col de Portet d'Aspet - although it'd be a steep climb for you.

Judging by what you say, I think you would be quite capable of achieving the ride in normal conditions.

Port de Pailheres
    Col de Bargargui