Rain capes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I blame this thread for me having to use my cape today! 3 showers in 17 miles. My recent rides have been dry but rain capes got mentioned and :rain: . Grrrr!:tongue:

hoopdriver

Guru
I had a carradice one, it was pants, caught the wind too much. And it lifted up in the wind rendering it useless, even with the thumb loops and waist cord, which left me wet and cold. Pretty much need to use full mudguards and the spats. Easier to use waterproofs.
Are you sure you had the waist cord tied correctly?

I have never had anything like the problem you describe. Not once.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ser
Are you sure you had the waist cord tied correctly?

I have never had anything like the problem you describe. Not once.

Seriously? I learnt to tie my laces when I was young. The cord is waist height, the end of the cape is lower, just like marylin monroe's skirt scene - same effect.cbut I ride in any weather in the hills of rossendale.

hoopdriver

Guru
Sounds like quite a sight.

I've never had that problem. My Carradice cape is made of fairly heavy waxed cotton. Seems to me it would take quite an updraft to make it flutter like Marilyn Monroe's skirt

D

Deleted member 1258

I keep one in my work bag, it comes in handy if I come out of work and its p****** down, stops me getting to soaked on the way home.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've never had that problem. My Carradice cape is made of fairly heavy waxed cotton.
With capes, heavier is better, and least when being worn rather than carried. Carradice also do a lightweight yellow cape that it doubtless a lot flappier.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I understand, although I do not own one, that the weave itself contains reflective threads

I'm not a fan of black or dark cycling clothes, maybe if it was a bit brighter it would be better.
It sounds very posh, here's how they describe it. "The Oxford Cape was re-created in London by a team of fashion designers who are also avid cyclists. The group mastered the art of cutting and stitching in Savile Row, the renowned London street of bespoke tailors.
The garment is manufactured in England using the finest waterproof cotton, JB Raver Tweed and the same vegetable tanned leather used for the legendary Brooks Saddles. Reflective JB Raver Tweed is a Dashing Tweed fabric manufactured exclusively for John Boultbee using the finest worsted wool yarns subtly combined with modern technical reflective threads, woven together in a traditional mill in Scotland."

Top Bottom