Rain Repellent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Anyone have any experience with rain repellents? I have been using Rain-X on my Contour waterproof case and I am not too impressed by the results, by the end of my ride it's all one big blur.

I have just bought some Raincoat by Motosolutions designed for use on plastics, specifically motorbike visors. I am hoping Raincoat performs a lot better than Rain-X.

PpPete

Legendary Member
be interesting to know how you get on.
i tried Rain-X once, never again

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
mike.pembo said:
I use http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203945/mer_rain_away.html on my car - applications last about 3 months on a car window and the bottle lasts years. Not sure how it would handle plastics though as its mainly Isopropanol Alchohol (IPA).

It mentions on that website about going at 46mph, I only go that fast down cliffs.
The problem with most of these rain repellents is they are designed for car windscreens, i.e. glass, some even state no to use them on plastics and they tend to rely on relative high speeds to shift the water..

Armegatron

BSRU said:
It mentions on that website about going at 46mph, I only go that fast down cliffs.
The problem with most of these rain repellents is they are designed for car windscreens, i.e. glass, some even state no to use them on plastics and they tend to rely on relative high speeds to shift the water..

The 46 mph is for the water droplets to travel up the windscreen. I find that at on my side and rear windows which are more or less right angled to the ground the water just runs straight off downwards without needing any speed / wind.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I was going to try some rainx, but now i won't.
Let us know how the other stuff gets on, i will see if i can find anything, although i doubt i will get to test it much in the near future (more hope that doubt)

Wobbly bob

I have used Rain-X and would not reccomend it for your windscreen, it`s ok
for a few days after a while the windscreen just smears and the wipers become noisey and judder. You can buy a glass polish from Halfords to remove rain-X from your screen
and that does a good job, Rain-X is fine on side windows,door mirrors and lights in my experiance.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Globalti said:
Wax car polish.

I have just received RainCoat, it has just two ingredients, some sort of oil and wax, so wax car polish may indeed be a good option, in fact anything with wax, such as Mr Sheen as also mentioned.

I had hoped to try it out today, heavy rain was predicted but as usual no rain at all.

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Tried it today it was ok and it is better than rain-x, the tail wind probably did not help as not enough breeze to help move the droplets faster. But I imagine car wax is just as effective, since the instructions say, apply it, it looks like car wax, then let it dry, then buff clear, just like waxing a car.
I have found if I need to ensure a good image just wipe it with my glove.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wouldn't bother. I occasionally smear washing up liquid over my cycling glasses (lenses plus glasses) and rinse off - stops misting for a few weeks.

Top Bottom