Rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, it is going to be hammering down all the way through. I've only been on 2-wheels a couple of months and not really been out in the rain as yet, however the roads and lanes have been wet through and muddy, so the bike is in urgent need of a clean upon return.

Do people go out anyway in rain, and if you do how do you approach it in terms of glasses etc. It's not like I'm scared of it as I play golf in bad weather all the time, but is it wise to venture out in rain? Can it be bad for the bike?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
If your bike's carbon, it will melt when exposed to rain. Even a little drizzle can cause puddling effects. :tongue:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Rain is not damaging. Just wear a peaked cap and it will keep the worse of the rain off your glasses. And a quick finger wipe with your glove will clear the lenses.

As long as you are wearing the right clothing and not getting cold then cycling in the rain can be jolly good fun.

It also won't do any harm to your bike as long as it's wiped down dry (especially the components) after a ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Personally, I don't choose to go out if it's raining, but I have got caught Numerous times. I get cold very quickly when wet hence I don't choose to inflict that on myself. Mudguards make a big difference. I wear glasses, helmet keeps the worst off, but you could get a peaked cap too for under the helmet

Just clean, dry and lube the bike upon return

winjim

Smash the cistern
Riding in the rain can be great fun. Get a decent jacket, don't worry about your legs and off you go. Might be a good idea to put your lights on to improve visibility.

Like Ian says, as long as you dry your bike off afterwards it should be fine.

Peter T

Also a golfer :smile: I go out in the rain plenty. I wear contacts and protective glasses as I am not too keen on the restricrted vision I get with smaller perscription glasses and the risk of them falling off which has happened. If you do not dry your cassette and chain after a wet ride it will rust. Also make sure you are using wet lube on your chain. The dry lube will not be effective in the rain. I love riding in all weather conditions, the only problem I have is with feet getting cold and wet. Overshoes and an extra sock layer helps.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Nothing wrong with riding in the rain, wear the right clothing, as said a peaked cap and a waterproof jacket. Mudguards will help greatly. Wash the crud off of the bike, dry and lube before putting away. A good idea also is to put your lights on whilst riding.:bicycle:

Shadowfax

Riding in the rain can be great fun. Get a decent jacket, don't worry about your legs and off you go. Might be a good idea to put your lights on to improve visibility.

Like Ian says, as long as you dry your bike off afterwards it should be fine.
I am not sure I can recall having fun riding in the rain.
Regards.

As above, riding in the rain can be enjoyable in a perverse sort of way - but then I am the sort of silly sod that enjoys hiking/mountaineering in the wet as well. The trick is to stay warm and preferably dry on the top half at least. (I need to keep my legs warm & dry as well due to an injury so will wear full waterproofs if needed.) Dry feet & dry hands are nice as well.

However, I have yet to work out how you can be a cyclist in the UK and not ride in rain at some point. Just avoid metal work in the road, avoid painted lines like the plague, periodically wipe your glasses or use a mountain bike helmet with visor (if you wear a helmet) - that keeps the worst of the rain off my glasses and accept this is the UK and you get wet!

And as stated wash, dry and lube the bike afterwards - don't settle for the "it can wait till tomorrow" approach because tomorrow that chain will have rusted around the cassette and chainrings...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
And as stated wash, dry and lube the bike afterwards - don't settle for the "it can wait till tomorrow" approach because tomorrow that chain will have rusted around the cassette and chainrings...
Your bike is obviously a wuss. Mine are much tougher. The rusting thing only happened after I left it for a length of time that would make @fossyant and @ianrauk faint.

sazzaa

Your bike is obviously a wuss. Mine are much tougher. The rusting thing only happened after I left it for a length of time that would make @fossyant and @ianrauk faint.

Might depend on where you live, I know there's a ton of salt on the roads here all winter and all the metal bits on my bike seem to turn orange every time I've been out in the rain lately!

Top Bottom