Rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Water proof trousers and a cycling cape is what I've used.

The cape gives a bit more freedom of movement, and can allow you to cover down to your knees. The water draining off in a way it can't from a jacket.

Hmm, rather extreme variation in these replies. For me the key is a good jacket with a waterproof front fastening, or a canoeing cagoule. Legs depends on your philosophy. Some like fully waterproof trousers, some prefer light trousers or shorts that will dry quickly. Ditto shoes. I go for lightly clad legs and open shoes unless it’s cold when I go full waterproof trousers, woolly socks and waterproof shoes. Gaiters can cover the ’sock gap’ in extreme conditions.

Geejay

When I'm at home we tend not to go out on the trikes if it's raining. Of course it might start off dry and rain half-way through. When we're in the motorhome if we've planned a ride we go out anyway and put on the goretex jacket with hood, trousers and shoe covers. If we're in Spain over the winter it doesn't rain.

Even with the full goretex you're not going to stay completely dry - water will trickle down your face for a start, and internal heating will cause perspiration and wet you from the inside. And if you have to stop for a comfort break....

BigT

Regular
What rain? If any of you have some extra rain to spare, we could really use some here in California.

I get no pleasure at all out of being soaking wet and squishy while I'm riding.
If it's the evening of a super-hot, summer day and the temps are still high after the sun goes down, then it can be a little fun, but only for the novelty of the rain feeling warm in my cloths and on my skin. The thrill wears off pretty quickly, though.

If you can't stay warm and dry then wet and warm is the next best thing. Embrace the ride no matter what the weather. If you get wet just keep warm.

Imho if it's a very wet day and you know you can't keep dry then a good softshell that wicks even pumps moisture quicker. I like buffalo clothing as they're OK when wet but dry against your skin as soon as it stops raining. I also like paramo but the few that fit me are short and I think you need more at the front.

Cape or poncho might be good but don't you get it blowing up if you go fast? They certainly allow air to flow around you so your sweat isn't an issue

Top Bottom