Raised patch on chainstay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeJay3000

Hello folks,

I bought a Saracen Levarg last week from an online retailer that was sold as new/unused. I don't have much of a clue with bikes (this is the first I've owned in a decade) so I had it serviced at an LBS after arrival and they confirmed it was good to go. While cruising about earlier today, I clipped a low, solid obstruction at the side of the road while turning at less than 10mph - the right pedal and my right leg took the initial blow (ankles sure can bleed!). The bike bounced a few times against the obstruction as I regained control so I gave it a once over at home to check for any other damage.

On the top and sides of the right chainstay, I found what I would describe as a patched/raised area with a uniform edge all the way around. I'd estimate it's about 3/4 of the length of the chainstay (centred and not touching the ends) The pictures aren't the best as it's difficult to focus a camera on the raised area exactly but the lines on either side appear to be straight and the ends (crossing over the top) are neat. There's also some paint chipping nearby but this bike's coat chips easily.

I'm going to assume that no blow to a bike could cause this, so is it by design or an indicator that the bike has been professionally repaired in the past? I may hassle the retailer for a partial refund if an 'as new' bike has been crashed by someone else.

Grateful for any views!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Nothing to worry about. It is a chainstay protector, made of vinyl tape or helicopter type tape, most new bikes have these pre applied. It is to stop paint chipping should the chain slap against the paint.

Last edited:

BewlayBrother

And useful stuff to have a roll of lying around as you can apply some over paint areas that could do with better protection but more so to apply over new scratches to prevent further damage or rust. And not just for bikes - cars and motorcycles I've used it on. When daughter was changing flat at uni one of the door handles had that plastic chrome effect peeling off, carefully "wrapped" in and no-one noticed.

OP
OP
T

TeeJay3000

Thanks everyone, that's reassuring to know. A shame it isn't slightly bigger as the blows to the chainstay so far seem to have all been just below where the protection ends. Must be more careful.

Top Bottom