Raising Handlebars on Dawes Giro 400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kinny999

As per the title i'm seeking help in raising the handlebars on my Dawes Giro 400.

I've had a quick look around online and some sources say it's not possible on this model and then some say it is and you need "this" specific bit of kit.

I know this is a real noob question but working nights and having a young baby has led to a slightly more squishy brain than usual.

Sincere thanks in advance for any help.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As per the title i'm seeking help in raising the handlebars on my Dawes Giro 400.

I've had a quick look around online and some sources say it's not possible on this model and then some say it is and you need "this" specific bit of kit.

I know this is a real noob question but working nights and having a young baby has led to a slightly more squishy brain than usual.

Sincere thanks in advance for any help.
You could try an adjustable stem which would bring the bars up and maybe slightly closer.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb-bhs-29-...360558161&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360558161uk
It could be that you are just not used to the position on a drop bar bike yet and you may find, like I did, that over time you will be able to drop it back down again after a while.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If its this bike
http://dawescycles.com/product/giro-400/
You can try flipping the stem , changing the stem for a more angled one or as @Mo1959 says an adjustable stem , measure your stem from the centre of the stem cap to to the centre of the bars so you know what length you have if you want the same reach .
All you need is some allen keys and you can pick up stem cheap enough .
This vid gives a guide ,

KneesUp

Guru
'Stem' is a confusing term - to me at least. It usually means the bit that holds the handlebars, and as others have said you could swap that part for one with a bigger angle, or one with an adjustable angle so you can experiment.

But 'stem' can also mean the vertical bit that comes out of the forks - technically on modern bikes it is the forks - and as such you can't extend by undoing a nut like you could with the old quill stems. What you can do though is add an extension like this one:

bbb-aheadstem-steerer-tube-extender-55664.jpg

Which you can get here, although I am sure other people sell them too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
'Stem' is a confusing term - to me at least. It usually means the bit that holds the handlebars, and as others have said you could swap that part for one with a bigger angle, or one with an adjustable angle so you can experiment.

But 'stem' can also mean the vertical bit that comes out of the forks - technically on modern bikes it is the forks - and as such you can't extend by undoing a nut like you could with the old quill stems. What you can do though is add an extension like this one:

View attachment 58339

Which you can get here, although I am sure other people sell them too.
Although the part you linked to is called a steerer tube extender so its called a steerer tube ?

KneesUp

Guru
Although the part you linked to is called a steerer tube extender so its called a steerer tube ?
Maybe they are now, I dunno. Some people still call that part a 'stem' though, perhaps as a throwback to quill stems when it was all one piece, often shaped like a number 7.

OP
OP
K

kinny999

Many thanks for the replies folks, apologies for the late reply, been away for the week.

Cheers again.

Top Bottom