Raleigh 531 frame ID

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mellchie

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could help me identify the 531c frame I've acquired as a rebuild. The stamped frame number, on the upright just under where the seat would be, is NK410444 suggesting it was originslly assembled in Nottingham, July '74 or '84.

I'm trying to find forks, as the originals seem to have disappeared along with all the other removable parts (I have literally begun from scratch!). The frame is coloured pale blue/grey with darkblue/grey on the inside "edge" of the tubes. It has Raleigh stickers (logo and 531c) and "Raleigh" "Suntour" decals, in filled and outlined grey respectively.

If anyone could help with some info that'd be awesome. I'd post some pictures, but haven't worked out how to do it yet...

All the best,

Girlie x

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
normally Raleigh assemble there Reynolds framed bike in Worksop and the frame numbers start with a W not sure about the SBDU bikes though .

i have just sold a late 80's Raleigh with the frame number just under saddle pinch bolt area so go for 80's

but check on sheldon browns web site for more frame number info

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I believe all sbdu frames are stamped SBxxxx and the OP is right that that is a Nottingham July X4 frame. It could be from their Lightweight Unit (see this) in Nottingham I suppose. The other info that could to some extent assist eliminating fakes if not exactly pinpointing origin are the frame weight for size and perhaps seatpost diameter, since Reynolds transfers are readily available for next to nothing, and of course photos.

OP
OP
M

Mellchie

I've found the pictures I took before I began stripping all the rust and paint off. Looks like the top decal actually reads "Quasar" but I'm not sure. What do you think?
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I am very sorry Mellchie I think that is not a 531c frame.

The reason is that square RALEIGH font on the downtube is 1984, not 1974, and the 1984 catalogue is available. See the spec and pic of the Quasar from the 1984 catalogue below. I hope I am wrong, but I think unlikely given yours also has the round oval round tubes mentioned. I suspect you have been cheated, I hope you didn't pay very much for it. Sorry. :sad:

ral84_09.jpg

ral84_07.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mellchie

Haha, you seem mortified, record! In actual fact I paid nothing, having pulled the frame from a scrapheap. I'm not really disappointed - having done a quick search since my last post for "Raleigh Quasar" and found pics of them with 501 stickers I doubted the 531c sticker was genuine. The catalogue pics you've provided confirms this.

I think I'm still going to continue with the rebuild, more for my own amusement than anything else. The hard part is going to be finding some suitable forks, as the originals seem to have vanished. Other than ebay, I've no idea where to look, as in this part at least I'd like to stay true to the original...

Thanks for the help so far x

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I think I'm still going to continue with the rebuild, more for my own amusement than anything else. The hard part is going to be finding some suitable forks, as the originals seem to have vanished. Other than ebay, I've no idea where to look, as in this part at least I'd like to stay true to the original...

Glad it was free. Someone who is uncharitable (not me :angel: ) might go as far as saying it should be, and that investing more time and money on it is like putting lipstick on a :mrpig: ...

Replacement forks have to have the right steerer length as well as length of thread for a suitable headset stack. What I would suggest, is instead of looking for that you might find the whole exercise more enjoyable as well as more satisfying at the end by looking for a better frame including forks?

sidevalve

Über Member
Wouldn't be too worried anyway. 501 although the lowest spec was still way way better than the "gas pipe" used on many bikes of the period [and better than some of the cheap ally frames used today]. You may be pleasantly surprised and [if your sensible with the rebuild costs] end up with a nice little runabout for b----r all !

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Have a "ping" - top quality tubing normally gives a satisfying "Ping!" when flicked. A dull "Thud" usually means gas piping.

Top Bottom