Raleigh Commando crank removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
It does make a big difference if the crank is supported when hitting the pin with a hammer otherwise all the energy is just transferred to the flexible frame. I use a short length of fence post with a “v” cut into it.

T4tomo

Guru
Hi all, I have an old Raleigh commando from the early 1970s, does any of you know how to remove the cranks from the bike, see attached photos.
Thanks
Use to be my childhood transport the Raleigh Commando. IIRC it used to have colours instead of numbers on the 3 speed twist grip shifter

Porsche924

Hi all, I have an old Raleigh commando from the early 1970s, does any of you know how to remove the cranks from the bike, see attached photos.
Thanks
Had the same problem in the past. Take care if you are trying to hit them out as you could end up distorting the wheels of the bike. If all else fails the can be drilled out if you take your time.

Gunk

Guru
I have had some more thought about this, hitting them with a hammer is a crude method, although I have not tried it, I'm pretty sure removing both wheels and getting it in a vice with a socket over the non-threaded end and pressing it out would be the most effective method.

carpenter

Über Member
Saw through the bottom bracket, replace with Square taper cartridge :okay:

(you may have guessed; I am not a fan of cotter pin bottom brackets ^_^)

Top Bottom