Raleigh Competition GS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
The below pic and info is for a bike I bought this last week for $150, the paint and info given is all correct except for a couple of odd things. First off, the bike is really good condition for its age, the paint just needs a light buffing, as does the chrome, but there is no pits or rust on the chrome parts on the frame or on the steel frame, in fact the only rust I've found is on bolts and nuts. The saddle is original with very little if any wear, I don't even see sit bone indentations! The pump is supposedly original, but it's not a Zefal but rather a Bluemel that is period correct for the bike, but the pump is shot, which I think a Zefal rebuild kit should fix it since it appears the stuff inside is the same as my vintage Zefal, either I rebuild it or buy a new Zefal for it. There are two components which are on the bike are both period correct but no in the specs below. The first one is the rear derailleur, it's a period correct Shimano Crane instead of the Campy Gran Sport, and the brake levers are Weinman however they have the bar levers attached which I don't see in the photos. Everything else is factory stock, even the wheels, which looked like they've never been used because there are no brake marks on them. The bar tape is not original, probably the original ones fell apart and the seller put new ones on to make it look a bit better; the gum rubber hoods on the levers are cracked like crazy, and he put on Bontrager A1 Hardcase tires, cheap tires but they'll do. I forgot, the plastic chain guard on the rear gear cluster is broken to pieces, which I'll just remove, and the chrome chainring guard the chrome has flaked off in most areas, I'll probably just remove it.

Can anyone tell me more about this bike? The bike fits which is why I got it, so this is not going to be a flipper, but I do want to get it back to original as best as I can, I don't think what I need to do will cost me much.

What is this bike worth? from what I could tell I got a great price on it.

I appreciate any information anyone might have.

https://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/1977/pages/03-77-competition.html

1670773558732.png

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
the pump is shot
Before you buy a repair kit, just unscrew and put plenty of grease on the plunger and have another go.

OP
OP
froze

froze

Über Member
Before you buy a repair kit, just unscrew and put plenty of grease on the plunger and have another go.

Except I heard a rattling coming from inside, so then I took it apart, a plastic thing, sort of like a fat washer fell out in 3 pieces, also the rubber grommet that is supposed to be in the chuck is missing.

Gunk

Guru
Nice bike, Grand Sport is not top of the range Campag, but still a desirable bike, cleaned up and serviced here in the UK, I would estimate £200-£300

OP
OP
froze

froze

Über Member
I realize the Campy Gran Sport is the lower end of Campy stuff, but that doesn't bother me really. Probably in the UK you guys have tons of those bikes, here we have very few. Ebay was selling the exact same one I have for $700, and another person wanted $1,200, since I can't see those bikes in person it's difficult to judge those vs mine.

In fact, I have been looking for any brand bike with chrome half forks and stays, and was not able to find any for under $1,000 for the last 20 years till this one anywhere near where I live!

Edit: I did find a few bikes with chrome forks and stays, but they were so badly rusted there was no way to save them, those I could have got for $50, but why? those with the rusted chrome were to sick to try to use the aluminum foil trick to restore it, the chrome was actually gone.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Half chromed forks and stays was an expensive option back in the day if done properly.

@froze looks a nice find as for value it's worth what ever someone will give you.

@Cycleops that looks tidy enough and just about your size

OP
OP
froze

froze

Über Member
Half chromed forks and stays was an expensive option back in the day if done properly.

@froze looks a nice find as for value it's worth what ever someone will give you.

@Cycleops that looks tidy enough and just about your size

This is the type of bike, with the chrome stuff on the frame, that I've been looking for a long time, I didn't buy it to flip, and I have zero interest in selling it, just want to get a couple of things for it to bring it back as close as possible to factory catalog specs.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This is the type of bike, with the chrome stuff on the frame, that I've been looking for a long time, I didn't buy it to flip, and I have zero interest in selling it, just want to get a couple of things for it to bring it back as close as possible to factory catalog specs.

Ride it and enjoy it and good look sourcing the bits you need

Top Bottom