Raleigh Competition GS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
did you make the leather disk yourself? if so, do you remember how large in diameter it was and how thick it was?

Sorry. I've been concentrating on other things .
IIRC I made it from a piece of scrap leather which I formed into a cup shape , a bit like the original plastic piston . It has to be larger than the internal diameter for the leather to seal . The cup has to be fitted so that the open end of the cup faces the end where the air exits .
It is a long time since I did the repair so I'm going from memory . I think I may have fitted the leather piston to the pump rod with a screw and a rawl plug , the plastic thing which you use to hang things to the wall in your house if I'm talking a foreign language. I greased the washer and tube and and pressed it into the pump . It was a bit difficult as it doesn't want to go in ! It's a bit like trying to get a cat into a cat box . A leg will always cling onto something and pop out !

OP
OP
froze

froze

Über Member
I got crazy lucky last Saturday, spirit of Christmas I guess. I went to a bike shop in town that works on old Schwinn bikes, and buys Schwinn parts from stores that are going out of business. So I was talking to the owner about the Raleigh and the Shimano Crane derailleur that is on it but would like to bring it back to all Campy, he tells me to wait a minute, goes back into a back room comes out with a box, this box is full of Campy stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's; so with his help identifying the 70's era stuff, I got all Campy Nuova Record front and rear derailleurs, shifters, and hubs all in excellent condition! And all I had to pay was $150 for all of it! Now I'm hyped to get the bike all switched over to this stuff. Unfortunately he didn't have any brake levers, though he did have calipers but I ran out of cash, and the calipers were not in good shape.

OP
OP
froze

froze

Über Member
Sorry. I've been concentrating on other things .
IIRC I made it from a piece of scrap leather which I formed into a cup shape , a bit like the original plastic piston . It has to be larger than the internal diameter for the leather to seal . The cup has to be fitted so that the open end of the cup faces the end where the air exits .
It is a long time since I did the repair so I'm going from memory . I think I may have fitted the leather piston to the pump rod with a screw and a rawl plug , the plastic thing which you use to hang things to the wall in your house if I'm talking a foreign language. I greased the washer and tube and and pressed it into the pump . It was a bit difficult as it doesn't want to go in ! It's a bit like trying to get a cat into a cat box . A leg will always cling onto something and pop out !

I appreciate the info, but I think what I'm going to do is simply buy a new Zefal HPX that looks exactly like the HP that originally came on the bike, not that most people would care when they saw the bike, but I think it looks right for the bike, plus being brand new the outside plastic stuff won't become brittle and crack like the Bluemel is becoming.

Top Bottom