Raleigh Esquire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ozzie770

Few pictures of my Raleigh Esquire.
0cInqDv9kS6aPDv9FMC37Trifc7d5n-eEsTUZskd7YoOypz5RTORTpL8QtzufGXroU-E_GvtFa8Jy8JE5e=w1189-h888-no.jpg

7rvkTM467oNWV-AtXVTrPSKeBJQemWB79DCJuRZfDvkH3SkjKF0kLaqZaNkgMBA0XjkZdykyq4uoqM7V3r=w1189-h888-no.jpg

0VyodiTIz7iB79eRdbxtpHE6ij-h2AOUEp8AeRxiASusaVmloP-s82YpeyE7vAq_2CAoXM2xWtHYWsGcuh=w1189-h888-no.jpg

14NuneT9eTF9orYD1ZW44svEDXBzGMqzuy_Ec27QhFwIxu52JGtWmVx0M7-xzwUDJTu8VWttdrsEKbU5K1K=w664-h888-no.jpg

d0lT_ie746k8s_hEorBAy0PVFmFvWTHGOaW4YGAHM56hjYYz8T_kHuWPHAogvekeAlCmNl6L8Ym4h8MTC5=w1189-h888-no.jpg

OP
OP
Ozzie770

Ozzie770

Could anybody tell me how original this is please, the rear SA dates to 1960, (so guessing this is a different rim) but I know the frame and the front SA will correct the date to 1973..
was wondering if the original had the front dynamo though as the wiring seems very crued

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice, quite similar to my Raleigh 'City' from around 86
Raleigh-City-Mens-Bike-Bicycle-Original-Condition-rusty.jpg

Although mine has been modified (mainly by me)

To this,

DSCN0038.JPG

The wheels were re-rimmed to Aluminium 700c by John at Bob Warner Cycles, I installed better brakes, a square taper BB and Stronglight crank, new handlebars and the rack was a NOS item from John. I've since changed the saddle to a sprung Brooks B67s but cannot decide whether to fit the chainguard and mudguards (Either the old ones or a new pair)

Drago

Legendary Member
The bike is virtually identical to the Raleigh Wayfarer of the same period, bar the paint. I would hazard a guess the front wheel is perhaps from a Wayfarer?

midlife

Guru
Mostly original. The brake levers look newer and I remember fitting loads with Ever Ready battery lights BITD. I think you could order it with a combined SA three speed and Dyno rear hub but would have to check the brochures.

midlife

Guru
The official Raleigh catalogues 1973 list a rear AG axle spares number so it must have come with a rear Dyno hub. Catalogue also lists an AW spare rear axle for 3 speed only.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@CarlP have you seen this thread ?

That didn’t come up in my search. Thanks.

Top Bottom