Raleigh Gemini Trail XC proto-graveladventurecross bike for giants (25" / 63.5cm) on FB Muppetplace, Suffolk, £80

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
For those who don't know, towards the end of the '80s Raleigh knocked out some nice high-end rigid MTBs in Reynolds 531; which generally got the Gemini name.

These appeared to culminate in the early '90s with the Gemini Trail XC; utilising the same Reynolds 531 frame and forks, 700C wheels, cantilever brakes and crucially with drops and bar-end shifters; perhaps fore-shadowing the boom in graveladventurecross bikes 25-30yrs later.

I'd really like one of these and got excited when I saw this one for sale; psyching myself up for a trip to Suffolk. Unfortunately it appears too large for me but seems like a decent buy for £80 and I hope might appeal to a neon-positive CC member of greater stature than I :smile:

356567284_6540178039375190_30971929407925234_n.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For those who don't know, towards the end of the '80s Raleigh knocked out some nice high-end rigid MTBs in Reynolds 531; which generally got the Gemini name.

These appeared to culminate in the early '90s with the Gemini Trail XC; utilising the same Reynolds 531 frame and forks, 700C wheels, cantilever brakes and crucially with drops and bar-end shifters; perhaps fore-shadowing the boom in graveladventurecross bikes 25-30yrs later.

I'd really like one of these and got excited when I saw this one for sale; psyching myself up for a trip to Suffolk. Unfortunately it appears too large for me, but seems like a decent buy for £80 and I hope might appeal to a neon-positive CC member of greater stature than I :smile:

View attachment 704542

Very nice, make a good touring bike and easy to convert to V-brakes

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Very nice, make a good touring bike and easy to convert to V-brakes

I guess it would; however I also think it deserves to be kept fairly standard (or at least reversible if modded) given what a standout format it is for the time..

Gunk

Guru
Personally I would have to lose the ‘90’s shell suit colour scheme, reminds me of my old Honda Fireblade.

It would look great repainted in a Team Raleigh paint scheme

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I guess it would; however I also think it deserves to be kept fairly standard (or at least reversible if modded) given what a standout format it is for the time..

Of course all mods would be reversible if you kept the original bits, frinstance those handlebars are not standard on the Gemini 'HYBRID', they had flat bars originally. Fit 28-32 road tyres, a rack and you're good to go as a tourer

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Sadly I think everyone is missing the point..

IMO this bike is of interest precisely because of what it represents in its unmolested form - an attempt by an iconic manufacturer, in the twilight years of their relevance and success to tap / create a new market; with a format that only recently has seen widespread success. While not really my bag the paint looks well executed and entirely appropriate for the time the bike was introduced.

Intrinsically it's nothing remarkable; a steel frame with drops and bar end shifters.. if you want something to customise there are myriad options without resorting to bastardising something of arguable collectable interest.

Gunk

Guru
Sorry @wafter I’ve think you’ve been sniffing too much chain wax, it’s of no collectible interest what so ever, so ideal as a cheap winter hack, or a resto-mod.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Of course all mods would be reversible if you kept the original bits, frinstance those handlebars are not standard on the Gemini 'HYBRID', they had flat bars originally. Fit 28-32 road tyres, a rack and you're good to go as a tourer

Not quite sure what you're getting at - other variants of the Gemini had flat bars, the XC had drops which IMO is what makes it interesting.. and why turn it into a tourer when you could just buy one off the peg?

Speaking of which, I wonder how much this shares with earlier 531 tourers... a cynic might argue it was just an exercise to re-market existing products. Unfortunately I can't find the original specs anywhere..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not quite sure what you're getting at - other variants of the Gemini had flat bars, the XC had drops which IMO is what makes it interesting.. and why turn it into a tourer when you could just buy one off the peg?

Speaking of which, I wonder how much this shares with earlier 531 tourers... a cynic might argue it was just an exercise to re-market existing products. Unfortunately I can't find the original specs anywhere..

Aye, a bit of research suggests it was built as a cyclocross bike hence the designation XC which stands for Cross Cycle not an attempt to create a new market but to cater to a sport which has fallen out of popularity.
Like I say if it were mine it'd have a rack fitted (looks like the 'braze-ons' are there on the seatstays) and more road oriented tyres.

grldtnr

I Think it's too late for me, just bought a used Boardman CX Cross bike 2nd hand
I was in Suffolk last weekend , so not far away.
I think 25" is just my size, tho' as I know, the bigger the frame the slacker it is, at carryout luggage.
I Think, what a shame.
I also think, that colour scheme, ' Yuerch, I 'd rather look at Nora Natty's wrinkled stockings !¡!!!!

Windle

Über Member
I think the paint job is magnificent
I think the whole package is a good one
I think the price is fantastic
I think the trip to collect it is too far 😕

I would echo the above, apart from the location and the fact that it's too big for me. If it was local and a relevant size I'd have had it in a crack. Biopace chainrings too! Oh, and that rocket launcher stem :eek:, that would be getting replaced sharpish.

Top Bottom