Raleigh Grande (at Halford's) - please, any good?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moonjiver

Hello all. What a terrific site. I'm a fit oldie (late fifties) and gravitating from drop handle bars and classic frames towards the Raleigh Grande (on offer at Halfords). It seems a lovely bike and very comfortable (tho I'd still prefer drops!). What do you think, guys? Is it better for those potholes but also ok for a run from Hastings down to Brighton? Hard to find drops on bikes which don't also have terribly thin wheels.

lip03

Über Member
I am no expert but from what I am told raleigh have really gone down hill in terms of quality in recent years
Halfords is one to watch also .as the staff don't always have the best or most varied knowledge.

I am sure someone with more to offer on alternatives will post shortly

OP
OP
M

moonjiver

Thanks lot to you both. After a longish break, I am currently riding an old Claud Butler (not one of their top range but a lovely bike). But I'm shocked how bad the road surfaces have become and like the ruggedness of this Raleigh Grande. If it had drops, would be my perfect mix of old style and modern technology! Hope I'm not looking for the non-existent .. but I don't want thin racing wheels on a bike. Agree about Halfords, bit variable, but in fact the Bexhill lot have been very helpful and fortunately I know enough to check and adjust things where needed!

vickster

Legendary Member
I am sure it'll be terribly heavy and put together with the cheapest components - you do get what you pay for.

I would personally go for a Carrera Subway in the sub £300 bracket (flatbar) http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_840919_langId_-1_categoryId_165534,

or, drops, the highly rated Triban 3 from Decathlon but again skinny tyres http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-id_8167038.html

Drop + thicker tyres typically means a Cyclocross bike but these start at £500-600 new, or you could try to find one second hand

OP
OP
M

moonjiver

I appreciate all the advice, I'll check out the Carrera and the others. Surprisingly the Raleigh Grande wasn't that heavy and, cheaply made or not, did seem very comfortable and easy to handle.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I was admiring a Raleigh Avanti U6 Pro in the bikeshed this morning. It was a 2009 so the owner said and it felt pretty light for an aluminium bike (carbon fork) and had good quality components. Certainly did not seem any different from my Specialized in build quality or finish. Obviously a slightly more expenisve Raleigh (105 groupset etc) but I was impressed, probably well worth a look at the model that you have in mind. They are nothing like the heavy crap I used to have as a kid.

OP
OP
M

moonjiver

Thanks, yes, I'll check that one out too. Difficult this, I'm trying to find something with drops and also thicker wheels - but without spending a fortune! Looking for a quality s/h bike was a good suggestion. Thanks for all the advice, folks.

OP
OP
M

moonjiver

I'm surprised and gratified by all the feedback. Just been following a thread (old one) in the Beginners section about drops v flats - fascinating, and I think I'm going to pass on the Raleigh Grande, keep searching for drops. Much better for distance and speed. I grew up on 'em. Might have to up my budget now tho! But also I'm a bit worried about all the comments on Halfords. It's not so hard to assemble a bike properly - I repainted a frame once and had bike bits spread all over my father's garage!

lip03

Über Member
If your new to the forums you probably won't have heard of halfords being called halfrauds! But many horror story's have been told about them I personally haven't bought anything other than a lock from halfords.................... it broke

OP
OP
M

moonjiver

Yes, I came across "Halfrauds" last night, thought it was very funny. Wonder why they don't get their act together? Lot on the internet about them. Having said that, the Bexhill young guys have been very willing, I think they are just not getting proper training. Some good shops down in Eastbourne and Brighton thankfully ..

Top Bottom