Raleigh Grifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Your gear cable was adjusted wrong. It's quite easy to get it right, but few people seemed to know and we didn't have this forum back then, so it helped give 3 speeds an unwarranted bad reputation.

Thanks for that, if you've got a time machine so I could go back 30 or so years and tell my mate, I'd be grateful.

Reactions: mjr

mustang1

Legendary Member
My friend had a blue one and I had a red chopper. Don't know if the bikes were good or not but we had great times on them!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My little sister had one of these, red one if I remember rightly.
My Dad had a bike shop, when he came out of the forces, and sold a lot of Raleighs and Puchs too

By the time that sis had one, it was too small for me as I had grown like a weed and was a good 5'5" or more and had been bought, the much hated Raleigh Twenty, cos that's a great bike for a 12 or 13 year old, is it not. She never rode it and it went to be a gift to an much older cousin's lad who loved it and tried to keep it in his bedroom.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I didn't have a grifter i went from my tomahawk to my 10 speed raleigh ace.

Ahead of my time i was.
I had a choice of a "race " bike and a grifter , went for the grifter as i doubt you could do ramp jumps on a racer at the time :smile: , mind you my nuts knew about when i mistimed the landing once.:eek:

Bodhbh

Guru
I had a Chopper, tho I used to ride a mates Grifter alot - much preferred his Grifter.

One thing tho - it seemed mahooosive at the time. I could of sworn it had 26" wheels. Seems they're only 20" and it's the same size as a BMX! - just it's prolly about 3kg heavier.:laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One thing tho - it seemed mahooosive at the time.
Amen! Is it because so many others were on Choppers or Boxers... and look at the rise on those Boxer bars!

OP
OP
Mark Lawless

Mark Lawless

So, the Grifter I bought with very few details last weekend arrived today. It looked OK in the pictures (sample at top of page), and I bought it at what I consider to be reasonable money, although I knew the paint was either VERY faded or non original.

I've had a look over it, and there's good and bad, as you would expect.

First, the good points :

With the exception of the rear mud flap, it seems to be all there.
Brakes and gears appear to be working fine.
It was relatively cheap - I must ALWAYS bear this in mind.
Brake and gear cables still have their original ribbed outers, so one less thing to look for.
Frame and forks are straight.

Bad points so far are :

The bike has been hand painted in an awful light blue, however its original colour was red - I have still to work out exactly which red.
Chain wheel guard has a piece missing - must have broken off in transit. This is disappointing, as it was one of the plus points that this was intact.
Genuine Supagrip tyres appear to be unused, however there seems to be some light cracking - I'm not sure what to do about this.
Chrome on wheels and pedal stems a little rougher than I was hoping for - I'm not sure if this can be rubbed / polished out or not.

Anyway, it looks like there's no point messing about at the edges with this one. I'll make a full assessment of everything it needs, but I'll be stripping it completely, as I can't live with that paint. I think it would be best to get it bead blasted and painted either blue or red - I'm thinking Mk1 colours, as although not original, they are nicer than later shades.

Any and all advice from all of you who know what they are doing better than me (that'll be most people!) would be gratefully received. I'm going to take my time with it, so I can look for bargains which crop up occasionally, and do as much as I can myself - although I might go pro for the paint - we'll see.

Frame number is NL2115984, so it's an August 1982 bike - well into Mk2 production.

robsa

Über Member
When your growing up you always had one lad who had the latest bike? well we had one , he was a bit daft too. Anyhoo he had a brand new grifter and was complaining about the brakes. I was the local go to kid regarding bikes so he came and asked me. Now I wasn't fond of this kid because he was spoilt, so I told him to pour 3 in 1 on his brake blocks and to test them by humping his bike up the slide on the park and riding it down with brakes on.
The aftermath was quite spectacular.
But not as spectacular as the argument with his dad and mine.
Ahhhh the 70s

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Your gear cable was adjusted wrong. It's quite easy to get it right, but few people seemed to know and we didn't have this forum back then, so it helped give 3 speeds an unwarranted bad reputation.

Oh! This is something of a revelation, I did wonder why on earth so many grifters had 'slip gear'. I suffered so many genital discourtesies thanks to slip gear that I was genuinely surprised when it turned out I didn't lose the ability to father children.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Looking again at the length of the cables on my grifter I've remembered we used to make the thing stop by grabbing ALL the cables in my fist and yanking them really hard.

I would like to correct the 'we' in the previous sentence but I'm posting from my iPad and the 'long hold' needed to position the cursor will make it crash!

Top Bottom