Raleigh headbadge, what year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChopperGav

Über Member
image.jpg

Does anyone know definitively when this style of headbadge started being used, why it appeared and when it stopped being used.
I've heard it called a anniversary headbadge with dates ranging from 62-72 and also quoted as being a one year only badge, does anyone actually know the truth?
Any information would be greatfully recieved.
Thanks.

midlife

Guru
Before my time and I'm a mid 70's guy, Velobase not much help so best bet is to look at bikes on the net with a known build date and see if the badge is in one of the pics...

Witchnut

View attachment 384415
Does anyone know definitively when this style of headbadge started being used, why it appeared and when it stopped being used.
I've heard it called a anniversary headbadge with dates ranging from 62-72 and also quoted as being a one year only badge, does anyone actually know the truth?
Any information would be greatfully recieved.
Thanks.
This is the head badge fitted to my 1962 Raleigh Gran Sport. My badge is very worn with most of the colour now missing. I'm looking for a good replacement or tips on refurbishment if anyone can help?

DRM

Guru
There was a programme on TV this afternoon, where a woman loiters round the council tip scrounging stuff thats getting dumped, then turns it into something else, I caught from where a bloke was going to fling a Raleigh with that head badge on it in the skip,said it was his dads old bike, to me it seemed very restorable, with a small amount of surface rust on the forks, a bit of overspray on the frame, so they chopped it up & turned it into panniers that she couldn't sell, what a result eh.

Witchnut

There was a programme on TV this afternoon, where a woman loiters round the council tip scrounging stuff thats getting dumped, then turns it into something else, I caught from where a bloke was going to fling a Raleigh with that head badge on it in the skip,said it was his dads old bike, to me it seemed very restorable, with a small amount of surface rust on the forks, a bit of overspray on the frame, so they chopped it up & turned it into panniers that she couldn't sell, what a result eh.
Didn't see the program, what a shame to cut up an old Raleigh?

I checked out this episode on iplayer [the show's called "Money for Nothing"] after I read this, what a numpty! It's criminal - not only did she not sell the panniers but it cost her £200 to have them made!

Top Bottom