Raleigh Impulse - Your thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funky

Regular
Hi All.
After not owning or working on a Raleigh for just on 30 years, like London buses, they are appearing in clumps.
My son has partly trashed his 1982 ish Criterium, which I have just about 75% finished sorting out.
I sold a hybrid to somebody who, as a result, had a Raleigh Impulse they didn't need anymore.
I love freebies!
I know very little about 'vintage' bikes, but rode it home, only half a mile, despite the clanking and complaining beneath me.
So far so good, at least it all kind of worked and didn't kill me.
Somebody has done a flat bar conversion. They used a 22.2 mm all along bar with a spacer around the bar under the clamp. It works, but it's ugly.
It's a 10 speed, would have had stem mounted levers I think?? It now has cable stops on a clamp on band around the down tube. They fitted a Shimano TY 15 5 speed SIS thumb shifter and a Monsoon friction thumb thing for the front derailleur. It took a while, but I did eventually get the 5 speed adjusted so it works as it's supposed to. Just.
Chrome steel rims are unfortunately pitted with hundreds of specs of rust, but straight enough and much elbow grease has made them shine between the dots. It's a real shame about the pitting, because it would be quite stunning in the spring sunshine.
The mechanics all seem reasonable for a neglected bike. This is good because I didn't have the right tool to remove the freewheel. It's a kind of larger than usual many splined thing required.
IMG_20180307_183704.jpg
IMG_20180307_183617.jpg
IMG_20180307_183704.jpg
IMG_20180307_183741.jpg
The seat post moved (Phew!) and the thing shines where it should. Even the frame has decent paintwork for the year. Decals nearly in one piece too.
So, ladies and gentlemen, what do you think?
IMG_20180307_183617.jpg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Blimey, looks almost new :smile: .

OP
OP
Funky

Funky

Regular

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Good point. I've only ridden it around the block for a mile to test it so far in the dry.
The chrome pitting gives it an extra bit of grip. ;)
OR...
.....What about these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAKE-BL...081523&hash=item360735f47d:g:9UcAAOSwPe1UGpIq

Do they work?

This is not 'staying in the family' for long.
It will be sold so I do need to make sure it's safe and sound.

If anything i would try some koolstop Salmons

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kool-Sto...hash=item3af1ccdcd5:m:mRppxnbJKCA84gdrqsEAtew

OP
OP
Funky

Funky

Regular
Blimey, looks almost new :smile: .
Thanks Midlife.
Close up it doesn't, chrome on the derailleur is slightly pitted too. And the mudguards are a bit of a scaly mess here and there.
But, not bad for a rescue job.
It would have been left to get dusty or sent to the dump.
Now that would have been a genuine shame, eh!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:

Raleigh's early idea of a hybrid possibly with 'North Road' handlebars?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nice :becool:

Raleigh's early idea of a hybrid possibly with 'North Road' handlebars?

The earliest version of what could be called a true Hybrid from Raleigh that I've come across is a Gemini with a Reynolds 531 "mountain lite" frame. The much better known Pioneer model appears to be based on these rather obscure bikes that were only in production during 1988/89.

Top Bottom