Raleigh Lenton brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
I have been experimenting with drop bar levers on my Lenton, the brakes work better and the hand position /comfort is better too, it also looks more in keeping with a drop bar bike, the original Lenton ones are just flat bar levers, but i am thinking of putting the original ones back on to keep it original, so i am torn between practicality and originality, i realy like riding the Lenton its not just a museum piece, what does anyone else think, am i guilty of crimes against vintage bikes by changing them:rolleyes: or should we put up with minor inconveniences like poor brakes for the sake of keeping it original, ps the brakes themselves have not been changed.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had a similar dilemma with my Claud. I went with new levers on the basis that I actually ride it. I kept the originals so it can be returned to stock if ever desired.

midlife

Guru
If you like to ride on the hoods then more modern levers are a sensible choice, if not then some vintage style steel / alloy levers for dropped bars should work and look a bit more period.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
If you like to ride on the hoods then more modern levers are a sensible choice, if not then some vintage style steel / alloy levers for dropped bars should work and look a bit more period.
Yes that's the thing ,I spend most of the time on the hoods, only using the drops into a head wind .The levers I am using are CLB ones that look the part and are the same diameter as the steel Lenton bars ,probably from the 70s or earlier .

I too have a similar problem but I am trying to keep the brakes and levers to a similar period as the frame to within a decade or so .
Sometimes things can be justified as previous owners may have upgraded components as things wore out or when the owner could afford them .
The other thing is that your modification can easily be returned to how it was without too much trouble, and if it improves your braking and safety then it is a worthwhile change .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd say it's the hoods that can look a bit out of period on a vintage bike, rather than the brake levers themselves. Also bar tape shouldn't be too chunky. Looks better if fairly thin and lays flat when wrapped without a bumpy surface where it overlaps the previous layer.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I quite like the original levers on the Lenton,

Top Bottom