Raleigh Magnum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had one of these and it was a great bike enjoy yours glad you saved it

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Get some WD40 on it and let it soak the crud will come off. Mine was hardly used when I bought it just needed some TLC Some scrote pinched it from Rufford Park all that was recovered by the police was the frame which I now have in my loft

Will do, I hope to get the other one finished this week, then I'll make a start on the Magnum.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another thread revival, I have finally finished my Dawes Kingpin project, and I have just got the old magnum out of the shed where it has been untouched for a year. The tyres are perished the wheels are rusty and it looks knackered. BUT... Just for a lark I wanted to see if the tubes would take air and they did! I raised the saddle put the chain back on the ring, and rode it round the garden, the gears work, the brakes work, the wheels go round. The cotter pins are bit iffy. I have feeling its a bit small for me as well, so I need to consider what I am going to do with it. 22" in frame, a bit small for a 6' bloke I think.

EDITED Spelling errors!

Last edited:

cbs

Another thread revival, I have finally finished my Dawes Kingpin project, nad I have just got the ole magnum out of the shed where it has been untouched for a year. The tyres are perished the wheels are rusty and it looks knackered. BUT... Just for a lark I would see if the tubed would take air and they did! I raised the saddle put the chain back on the ring, and rode it round the garden, the gears work, the brakes work, the wheels go round. The cotter pins are bit iffy. I have feeling its a bit small for me as well, so need to consider what I am going to do with it. 22" in frame, a bit small for a 6' bloke I think.

Well, if you do decide that you want to move it on, I might be interested in taking on a project if it's not too pricey. I'm in Bucks, so not too far from you really...

Colin

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, if you do decide that you want to move it on, I might be interested in taking on a project if it's not too pricey. I'm in Bucks, so not too far from you really...

Colin

Sorry Colin, @DCLane has bagsied it, in the Free Classified thread about ten minutes ago, if anything changes you get second dibs.

cbs

Oh well, no worries, was not meant to be then :smile: Happy for @DCLane to have it as long as he starts up a thread for the rebuild :thumbsup:

Colin
Oh, I forgot to add this bit:

"and then gives it to me when he has finished" :laugh:

Seriously though, if anything does change, would be happy to give it a new home, but hope it does gives good service to the eventual new owner.

Colin

cbs

Thread from the dead - was thinking about this recently and thought I'd revisit to see what had happened with this bike.

@DCLane - did it get recommissioned and used in the end? haven't seen a build thread, but having missed it by minutes, I am interested in its fate...

Colin

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@cbs - yes. I picked up some spare wheels, added tyres, new chain, changed the bottom bracket, new cables and saddle.

It went to the next door neighbour's son and should be floating around York St John University *

* he did turn up sheepishly at one point and asked how you changed the gears :rolleyes:

cbs

@cbs - yes. I picked up some spare wheels, added tyres, new chain, changed the bottom bracket, new cables and saddle.

It went to the next door neighbour's son and should be floating around York St John University *

* he did turn up sheepishly at one point and asked how you changed the gears :rolleyes:

Excellent, although I perhaps hoped you would say that it was still gathering dust and did I want it! Good to know that it is being used, and if he asked about the gears, that does at least mean he is riding it.

Thanks for the update.

Colin

Top Bottom