Raleigh misty mixte frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willoscar

I gave my daughter a misty bike I bought in a auction for her to use in London , I cleaned it up put a new seat on it and as she was desperate to take it home with her before I had finished refurbishing it I gave her the new tyres and inner tubes I had already bought to take home with her .She then took it to a local shop to have them fitted and they also put new brake pads on and advised her to change to alloy rims for better braking ,they also checked it over saying it was a good bike . The thing is she now wants to change to alloys ,she it is not very practical so would have to pay the shop to do it, (she is fairly cash poor) I do have a spare set of alloy 700 wheels here but would they fit ? I could buy her some 27 x1.1/4 off ebay and send them to her to get fitted at shop I am not sure as the bike is not here as what to order ? As the gears hub ect will need to be swapped over they need to be right. Does anyone have any practical advice as the best way to go she does love the bike but we do need to keep it affordable .

KneesUp

Guru
OH has a Misty running on 700s. Mistys came with all sorts of braking options over their life - hers had some side pull callipers which did not have a deep enough drop for the 700 wheels, but @Dogtrousers was kind enough to donate some centre pull Mafacs which have enough drop to reach. If you're lucky your daughters Misty will be old enough to have come with them from the factory - otherwise you will need to change the brakes to use 700c.

I'm not sure of the spacing - OH has 135mm hubs on hers because they were the wheels I had, but I had to persuade (bend) the frame to take them - I can't measure hers as it doesn't spring back as much anymore - I suspect it's 120mm though.

Let me know if you want any more info / pics.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Have a look at parkers of bolton or bankrupt bike parts both on e bay should be able to pick up a set of 27" alloy rimmed wheels for about £50 and i would expect any of them to be interchangeable .

Or is there a cc'er in London who might be able to help ?

OP
OP
W

Willoscar

Thank you for all of your helpful comments ,yes my daughter was worried about stopping on steel wheels I will show her this thread then maybe she will reconsider .The shop she took it to exchanged the hadle bars for her as she wanted a more upright ride ,of course they did not return old ones shame as they were the originals.I got her the bike as I thought it would stand more of a chance of not getting stolen in London and she does like to be different very stylish bike maroon with flower detail .

Top Bottom