Raleigh or Trek?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martyp

Having scraped a few bob together have decided to treat myself to a new bike.

My budget is 400 e and I have narrowed the choice down to 2.

first up....
http://www.eurocycle...t-0/3878_p.aspx
Really love the look of this bike.

For the same money I can get a 2 month old Trek 7.3 fx c/w....smart lights and cat eye computer.

Im really undecided on which to pick......the Raleigh looks nice and chunky and solid....yet I can find very little info on the web about it.

The Trek meanwhile gets rave reviews......am really lost here......this bike will be with me a long time......

Please help?????????/

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I'd probably go for the Trek. I do have a Raleigh Avanti road bike, nothing wrong with it.

The white Raleigh frame is a bit in your face.

The Trek will be a bit heavier as it has a triple chainring whereas the Raleigh is a double. If you're going to be riding in the hills the triple will be useful.

Try and negotiate the Trek down a bit, after all it is second hand. This leaves a few quid for clothes/accessories.

OP
OP
M

martyp

Cheers Alembic.......I actually like the white frame......buggers to keep clean tho ...horses for courses....

Never knew alembic still made guitars?

OP
OP
M

martyp

I'd probably go for the Trek. I do have a Raleigh Avanti road bike, nothing wrong with it.

The white Raleigh frame is a bit in your face.

The Trek will be a bit heavier as it has a triple chainring whereas the Raleigh is a double. If you're going to be riding in the hills the triple will be useful.

Try and negotiate the Trek down a bit, after all it is second hand. This leaves a few quid for clothes/accessories.

Well actually went for neither........after a bit of research i ordered a carrera gryphon disc spec from Halfords......

Came in box and assembled it bout an hour ago....

This is first alum bike btw....cannot get over how light it is.

Took it for a 5 mile spin ....still seems a bit tight.....I think ..the rims are rubbingon the discs....as i never had a disc brake bike before gonna have to figure out the adjustment.

Also spun the front wheel oof the bike and it seems a bit rough....should I regrease?

So far impressed with bike .......longevity wise time will tell......

Piccies to follow.........

oh btw ...........does 60cm equate to 21.5 inches?

OP
OP
M

martyp

I am 6 "2 Mickle.

Bike is fully assembled and fits ok, but it is deff a 21.5 inch .

here is the bike.....http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/s...uctId_273257_langId_-1_categoryId_212377#dtab

Other half rang halfords for me and was told......oh 60cm is the wheel size......

Needless to say I wont be going back for a 6 week checkup.

Heres hoping bike will be ok.

OP
OP
M

martyp

Box clearly states 60cm........

Attachments

• IMG_2359.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2362.JPG
    IMG_2362.JPG