Raleigh Panache restoration help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anna.bower96

Hi! Very new to this and only a little experience in bike maintenance. I've recently bought a Raleigh Panache (1980's I believe) for £20 off Facebook. Its a bit worse for wear and the brakes and gears have seized up. Does anyone know if this can be fixed and/or where I can get new parts from? Complete restoration is needed basically.

AndyRM

XOXO
Definitely salvageable, and not too much work, if you have the tools. There are lots of videos on YouTube which will guide you through what you need to do.

Parts wise, there are lots more knowledgable members than me, when it comes to older bikes. @biggs682 or @Gunk may be able to help with a source.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks @AndyRM
Welcome @Anna.bower96 that is deffo salvageable and i would say the chain either needs soaking with a releasing agent and some stimulation with pliers on the links or just fit a new one .
As for the brakes i would hazard a guess at new cables , pads and poss stripping the calipers down and cleaning the pivot bolts , if the rims are steel then just be aware when wet the brakes might be a bit slow to react .
Where are you based ?

midlife

Guru
That looks in good nick :smile: as well as the above I’d check the tyres over, the front looks a bit old

Gunk

Guru
That's completely fixable, although my preference is to dismantle where possible, from your photos I would suggest WD40 (or white spirit) and fine wire wool to clean up all the chrome, frame and chain set. then a new new chain and pedals for starters and a couple of fresh tyres. Give the rear freewheel a good clean with WD40 and a wire brush, clean and oil the rear derailleur, replace all the inner and outer cables and brake blocks and it should be good to go. You'll have a nice bike for about £100

You did well for 20 notes @Anna.bower96 , I'd have bought it!

Where about are you based?

OP
OP
A

Anna.bower96

That's completely fixable, although my preference is to dismantle where possible, from your photos I would suggest WD40 (or white spirit) and fine wire wool to clean up all the chrome, frame and chain set. then a new new chain and pedals for starters and a couple of fresh tyres. Give the rear freewheel a good clean with WD40 and a wire brush, clean and oil the rear derailleur, replace all the inner and outer cables and brake blocks and it should be good to go. You'll have a nice bike for about £100

You did well for 20 notes @Anna.bower96 , I'd have bought it!

Where about are you based?
Thanks for all your help! I'm in Wilmslow, Cheshire. Found the bike in Crewe.
Is there anywhere in particular you'd suggest to get new pedals from? I've seen some on ebay but they're none genuine.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello Anna and :welcome: to the forum.

@Gunk ’s advice is good. I’d also strip down whenever possible, that would mean the hubs, headset and bottom bracket, but you needn’t go that far if you don’t want to. I’d say your shopping list should include new tyres (& tubes dependant on condition), cable inner and outers, chain, bar tape and track pump. Certainly doable for less than a ton. If those rims are. hrome don’t bank on stopping quickly in wet weather, but certain pads can help with this.
Good luck and just ask if you want to know anything else.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for all your help! I'm in Wilmslow, Cheshire. Found the bike in Crewe.
Is there anywhere in particular you'd suggest to get new pedals from? I've seen some on ebay but they're none genuine.

Shame you’re not closer, I could have helped you out. Don’t get too hung up about non genuine parts, it’s not a valuable bike, the main thing is to make it safe, rideable and give it another lease of life.

That'll be a nice usable bike once it's put to rights. Pre corona, I used to see one of those being used as a commuter bike being taken on train services in and out of Cambridge on a regular basis.

If there's a Decathlon near you, they'll be a good source of all the basic spares and parts you'll need to get that back on the road.

A selection of spanners, allen keys and a socket set should be all you need, plus a can of WD40 and a bottle of barkeep's help. That's an all purpose cleaner containing oxalic acid, which should take care of the rusty bits. And rubbing chrome with tin foil should bring it back up to a shine.

Oh, and :welcome: from one lady rider to another.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That bike would make a perfectly useful runabout. It's a basic quality Raleigh, with a run of the mill 18-23 hi-tensile frame. If you don't pay other people to do it, and source your parts with some savvy, you can fix up bikes like this very cheaply indeed.
Most of my bikes are fitted with cheapo resin MTB pedals that cost about a fiver a pair. They do the job, and if you bash one and damage it you are not going to cry about the cost.
The most important thing is get together some basic bike tools, including a decent quality pedal spanner, a pot of lithium grease and some penetrating oil. The pedals and the cotter pins on the crankset are likely to be by far the worst things to remove, and you can expect a fight given they have probably been on there for over 30 years.

Top Bottom