Raleigh Panache.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haleno1

Hi guys I got this bike for free. Rode it but I have no idea about changing gears at all with it. Haven’t ridden a bike in years. People keep saying it’s too small for me but I love it and was comfortable to ride and I could get my feet on the floor. I need to get outside in the garden and give it some maintenance however what do I do. I basically picked it up and rode it for an hour home was fine brakes need a bit of work but I’m trying to find out about gears. It’s a Raleigh Panache any help would be appreciated. I’m looking on YouTube etc but haven’t found much info on it as yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7303.jpeg
    IMG_7303.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 48

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Good work - looks like an entry-level model but these are still usually decent for what they are. Looks like a Mixte frame too, which is always nice.

It should have downtube shifters (usually a lever on each side of the downtube infront of the fork) - yours doesn't have one on the side visible in the pic (which would usually control the front derailleiur / shift between the chainwheels on the crankset) so this suggests it has a single chainring and all the shifting is done on the back. There should be a lever on the other side of the frame to control this; my guess is it's a five or six speed.

If you need more info look up "downtube shifters" :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good work - looks like an entry-level model but these are still usually decent for what they are. Looks like a Mixte frame too, which is always nice.

It should have downtube shifters (usually a lever on each side of the downtube infront of the fork) - yours doesn't have one on the side visible in the pic (which would usually control the front derailleiur / shift between the chainwheels on the crankset) so this suggests it has a single chainring and all the shifting is done on the back. There should be a lever on the other side of the frame to control this; my guess is it's a five or six speed.

It has a single friction shift on the handlebar stem near the bell- you can just about see it (or the cable leading from it) in the pic

@haleno1 when its on the bigger cog(s) at the back its easy to pedal up hills, when its on the smaller one)s) you can go faster for the same pedalling speed on the flat.

OP
OP
H

haleno1

Thanks there’s a lever in the middle for the gears but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s working at all. Not sure. I’ll suss it out later today.

OP
OP
H

haleno1

Looks like it's a small size frame, how tall are you?

5ft 2 just. Feels ok to ride. Probably guilty of having my seat too low to be honest just needs to be slightly higher knees are still bent a tiny bit when I do full circle pedal so feeling it very slightly on the knees but it’s good to ride so far just got to suss those gears and seat height.

OP
OP
H

haleno1

It has a single friction shift on the handlebar stem near the bell- you can just about see it (or the cable leading from it) in the pic

@haleno1 when its on the bigger cog(s) at the back its easy to pedal up hills, when its on the smaller one)s) you can go faster for the same pedalling speed on the flat.

Yeah there’s a little lever but not sure it’s working and thanks for the advice with the cogs simply put which for me right now is good. lol.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks there’s a lever in the middle for the gears but I’m beginning to wonder if it’s working at all. Not sure. I’ll suss it out later today.

No worries!

Be aware that the gears won't physically shift unless the wheel is being driven by the chain, so try shifting while riding and pedalling if you're not already :smile:

OP
OP
H

haleno1

Thanks everyone for your help. It’s been very useful. So far my gear change is working ok I think. The only problem I have now is the front brake have to really pull the handlebar lever and it barely works and it rubs against the rim. Only adjusting needed I think
No idea how to do it although I will be going through YouTube etc. but I think the bike has been a very good deal seeing as I got it free.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
It sounds like you have the saddle height more or less where it should be. Your legs shouldn't be dead straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The best way of getting this more or less correct is to sit on the bike, put your heels on the pedal at its lowest point and set the saddle height so your leg is actually dead straight. That way, when you pedal with the ball of your foot, there will be a slight bend in your knee. It's only a rough guide though because of different foot sizes.
Regarding your brakes...
You have chromed steel rims. Braking in the wet is going to be...fun. :whistle:

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks everyone for your help. It’s been very useful. So far my gear change is working ok I think. The only problem I have now is the front brake have to really pull the handlebar lever and it barely works and it rubs against the rim. Only adjusting needed I think
No idea how to do it although I will be going through YouTube etc. but I think the bike has been a very good deal seeing as I got it free.

you might want new brake blocks. If the old ones have gone a bit hard they will be less effective. make sure the blocks are hitting the rim properly and not touching the tyre. The "suicide levers" the ones you can reach from the tops of the handlebars were never that effective even when new, but you should be able to adjust the "biting point" of the brake by shortening the cable a bit at the brake caliper. you want the just a very small gap when the brakes aren't on, so there is no rubbing, but then plenty of leverage when you do squeeze the lever.