Raleigh Pioneer Classic 10 SIS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Dee

Hi, looking for some advice. Have just found this, any idea on possible age and what the 10 sis means? I assume the '10' is 10 gears but what's the sis?
also any idea of value, its been stored under cover for years.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_6278.JPG
    IMG_6278.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_6284.JPG
    IMG_6284.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 322
OP
OP
D

Dave Dee

it has a serial number of 51363908.
and the seat tube has a "Pioneer Classic Deluxe England"
Cheers

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I’m sure it’s sequential index system
Sis is Shimano index system I think ?
@SkipdiverJohn is our resident pioneer guru ^_^
Looks 90's ish to me
On a good day somewhere between 50 - 100.
Close,
Every Shimano equipped multi-gear bicycle includes Shimano S.I.S - Shimano Indexed Shifting. It's the technology behind that "click" you hear and feel everytime you shift through your gears. That "click" captures the light, precise, and consistent shifting bikes equipped with Shimano deliver.9 May 2018

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
They are good workmanlike bikes. I had the 10 speed commuter version back in the mid 80's.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

They're decent workhorses. My 21-speed version does all sorts of stuff I'd not use my 'best' bike on.

10 speed's the basic model but it looks in decent condition. As @biggs682 has put - £50-100 probably in current circumstances.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like one of the later ones but as Biggsy says @SkipdiverJohn will give you the lowdown. Bikes that are ready to ride are in demand right now so you should get a good price for it but if it’s been unused for a number of years the tyres will likely have perished so perhaps replace them, tidy it up a bit and sell it as a going concern. Cables might need replacement too.

Gunk

Guru
Looks super-clean though

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Pioneers like that were the last decent British-built Raleigh hybrids, and tend to be underrated by those not in the know. I have more than one in full working order plus a spare frame, so it's fair to say I rate them rather highly. The classic was a more budget spec variant with the plain gauge 18-23 steel frame and less fancy components than the top models. That one was made in 1995, same year as my 18-speed Pioneer Trail.

Pre-virus you could easily pick them up in decent order for less than £50, but closer to £100 is currently realistic so long as the bike is well sorted and ready to jump on and ride.
Currently some service parts are in short supply and bike shops have repairs waiting lists, so a bike that doesn't need anything doing to it is worth significantly more than one that's just been dragged out of storage and has rotten tyres, a stiff chain, and seized up brake and gear cables. If you want to get a good price for it then get it working properly.. A fixer-upper is still a fixer-upper, and is not on the radar of a lot of buyers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave Dee

guys thanks very much or all the advice. super useful. I've pumped up the tyres and they seem to hold air, now going to check over the rest of the bike, and then it'll probably have to go up on FB marketplace. I don't think I'll get away with keeping 6 bikes!

Top Bottom