Raleigh Pioneer Classic - replacement handlebar grips needed....advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vikkieokeeffe

I have a Raleigh Pioneer Classic hybrid, 12 gear, 18-23, Ladies Bike. I bought years ago, recently pulled it out my parents shed.
I am needing replacement handle-bar grips (as it still has the original grips, now perished) can anyone give advice as to which would be best to buy.
Thank you in advance

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum

You could use any that take your fancy. There are foam types, rubber, like the originals or you could go with some ergonomic shaped ones like these:
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-handlebar-grip-EV160666
Or the lock on type are very popular:
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...tape/dmr-lockon-bike-grip---green-328143.html

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome to the forum vikkie.
When possible a photo or two would be good, we like photos.^_^

Depending on the size of the bars, something like this from Halfords would do the job. £ 4.99
1597220631814.png

Grips with a simple lock on can be had for less than a fiver on ebay.

Perfectly decent.

edit - just checked - my last pair, december 2018 cost me £2.82 inc postage.
They did come from the dreaded china but of course pretty much any you buy branded whatever will have come from china in any case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vikkieokeeffe

Thank you all so very much.
I am also concerned that I would have issues with either diameter or length of the new grips compared with the old ones (see photos for original perished grips).

Attachments

• F82D7E4E-B248-4954-BCC6-AB3FAD37A483.jpeg
    F82D7E4E-B248-4954-BCC6-AB3FAD37A483.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 13
  • FFC8152C-2F70-4A3C-82F5-57ACC446595D.jpeg
    FFC8152C-2F70-4A3C-82F5-57ACC446595D.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 13
Hi and :welcome:.

When you do finally choose a pair, if you mix up some washing up liquid and smear it on the bars and grips it will help when putting them on . It can also be used when taking them off by sliding a small screwdriver down in-between the grip and the bars and pouring some liquid in and twist them off.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the new grips are longer/shorter you can just use an Allen Key to loosen the brake levers to move them up/down to the new position of the grips.

Also I might mention it'd be a good idea to replace all the cables to ensure safe operation especially the brakes if it’s been laying unused for some time. Quite a simple job if you’re handy requiring just a few basic tools. You should really aim to replace inner and outer cables but you may get away with just the inners.
Any other help you need just ask.

12boy

Guru
I'd second two recommendations...get ergonomic grips and get grips that have an Allen bolt that tightens to hold on the grip. I have used the soapy water method to remove grips and you may need to do this to get the old ones off, but it takes a while to dry when replacing them. The bolt on ones are so much easier. Ergons meet both requirements but they are expensive.

12boy

Guru
With an old bike that has been sitting for years there are several tasks that might need doing....
Brake pads can get dried out although sometimes a scuff with sandpaper can help.
Chains also get dry, so a little lube may be in order. The grease in hub, headset and bottom bracket bearings can also dry up.
On the other hand, old bikes that are properly lubed and adjusted can ride as good as new.,

raleighnut

Legendary Member

When you do finally choose a pair, if you mix up some washing up liquid and smear it on the bars and grips it will help when putting them on . It can also be used when taking them off by sliding a small screwdriver down in-between the grip and the bars and pouring some liquid in and twist them off.
Hairspray is better for fixing grips.

Gunk

Guru

hairspray works better, it helps slip them on and then it dries out securing the grips to the bars, a squirt of WD40 removes them

:welcome:

If you've got a Decathlon near you, their range of own brand grips should offer something that suit at a relatively inexpensive price.

+1 for Ergon grips if you are feeling flush - I have their GP2 grips on my hybrid. Chain Reaction Cycles has them on sale right now if you're of a mind, but cheap rubber or foam grips will serve equally well. :okay:

Plus it would be a good idea (as mentioned variously upthread) to give the bike a once over. There are loads of good "how to" guides on youtube, plus you'll get good advice in the mechanics & repairs section of the forum. :okay:

I have some ergon-like things which came fitted to my ridgeback expedition. I like them.
But looking at the current range of ergons, hell there now appears to be a somehat confusing range of options.
The wonders of choice.

Top Bottom