Raleigh Pioneer Spirit?, any information..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggins

Regular
Hi, just joined the site. I have a Raleigh Pioneer Spirit (thats what it says on the bike), it looks old, but I can't find any information about it.
Anyone ever heard of them?.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Quite a common and popular bike the Pioneer range. made in Nottingham. I think the Spirit may be the top of the line variation with 501 tubing, any stickers?
Eighties or nineties?
@SkipdiverJohn is a big fan and might be able to give you more info.
Some pics would be nice.

Hello and :welcome: to the site.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There were loads of variants on the Pioneer model produced over the years, with all sorts of different quality level mechanical parts and either 18-23 hi-tensile or Reynolds 501 cro-moly frames.
The earlier versions produced from the end of 1989 until around 1993, featured somewhat garish multi-coloured paint jobs, which may or may not be to your taste.
I think the Spirit was a 18-23 steel frame, with mid-range bits on it, so a decent enough bike but not the most expensive. The first digit of the frame number stamped under the bottom bracket will tell you the year, probably around 1991 or 1992 in this case. The first Pioneers made had a higher clearance under the BB, more like a MTB, and this made the head tube taller and increased the standover height by about 3/4". you can tell the difference in pictures or if comparing an early type frame with a later one.

OP
OP
B

Baggins

Regular
Thank you Cycleops and Skipdiver John.
I will try and post pictures as soon as I'm allowed on here.
The number under the bottom bracket is just 7 numbers no letters?.
Haven't seen another Pioneer with the same paintwork either, maybe repainted, customised.

Attachments

• received_491198768874194.jpeg
    received_491198768874194.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 78

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That looks like the original paintwork to me. Yours is indeed the better version with Reynolds 501 tubing. Well worth keeping and looking after, should serve you well.
Schwalbe Land Cruisers are a worthwhile addition.

OP
OP
B

Baggins

Regular
That looks like the original paintwork to me. Yours is indeed the better version with Reynolds 501 tubing. Well worth keeping and looking after, should serve you well.
Schwalbe Land Cruisers are a worthwhile addition.
That is good news, we have the same in a crossbar too.

Attachments

• P_20210525_094711.jpg
    P_20210525_094711.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 54

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As @Cycleops says, you have a nice machine there, being a 501 frame. The specs did vary over the years, and this is one where the same model name was used on two variants, one of which had the quality 501 version of the frame and the other the basic 18-23 steel. Looking at the paint scheme I suspect yours is probably around 1994 or so. I have a 501 framed Pioneer Trail made in 1995. The Pioneer frame numbers are all-numeric, no letters in them. The first digit of the number is the year identifier, the other six numbers are a sequential counter.

OP
OP
B

Baggins

Regular
Brilliant news, thank you.

Another question I need advice on please regarding the gear shifters.
The right hand shifter doesn't work, I've been trying to source a replacement Shimano Altus C50 (ST-CT 50) without much luck so far. Would any 6 speed shifter work?.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any six speed shifter should be compatible with the sprocket spacing on the freewheel. This is one of the huge benefits of the MTB derived transmissions with 5/6 speed freewheels you often find on 1990's hybrids. The mechanical bits are cheap and you can mix and match parts from any similar era bike.

Top Bottom