Raleigh Record Ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All sorted, thanks though. Just waiting for the weather...
That'll be a feckin long wait then.

goldcoastjon

Oops, schoolboy error on an 80's frame - looks like my nice 105 brakes aren't going to work here so it is back to the Tektro extra-long reach callipers. I would have preferred the Shimanos but some things just aren't meant to be. Does anyone have a better combination that puts dual-pivot brakes on an 80's frame with the long drop from the bridge?
View attachment 539372

Chin up though, the Charge Spoon saddle arrived and with a nice clean seat post looks the part...
View attachment 539374

I'd also appreciate some thoughts about the downtube shifters and matching them with band-on fittings.

I'm going 9-speed with a Dura-Ace 7700 rear mech and have some matching downtube shifters. The RRA does not have brazed-on mounts, and I have the original Suntour levers with the Raleigh logo on the brand. A very nice and elegant solution but friction shift only and I'd prefer to use the indexed DA levers. The Suntour's don't have the square section boss that would make them compatible and allow swapping the DA levers onto the Raleigh band, shame. I've not had much luck with after-market band-on bosses, they tend to be so clunky - the ones I have in my bin are shown below.
View attachment 539382
That band is just ugly - does anyone have any experience in matching these parts, or could recommend a more elegant solution?
What is the serial number of your Record Ace? Does it have a stop brazed underneath the DT?
My (probably 1980) Worksop-built Raleigh Record Ace frame, S/N WP 000 2075, has Campagnolo-style DT shifter mounts.

For friction shifting, I'd use the Suntour shifters that you have...You might also consider bar-end shifters if the reach to the DT is a bit much on your taller frame.

Have fun!

Jon Spangler
Alameda, CA USA

Top Bottom