Raleigh Record Sprint build...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there are several members who have or have had a RRS on here, & I've been lurking for a while. :smile: I'm just in the process of finishing off my rebuild on a RRS frame, which I was given by a relative.

I believe it's a 1988/89 (?) model, based on the decal. 23.5"/60cm frame. 501 double butted chromolly tubing. Frame/forks only weight ~3.2kg, built as in image ~11.2kg. So not a lightweight, though neither am I, and I could have saved more weight with component choice, but not hugely worried. May trim the long EHC seatpost though.

One of the challenges was finding the seatpost diameter. Came down to either a 27.2mm or a 27mm, and proved to be a 27mm! The inside of the seat tube is nice and clean with no oxides build up etc, so it's likely that 27mm is the true diameter. I coldset the frame to from 126mm oln to 130mm, by using a threaded rod to begin with, but also by pulling the frame. DT Swiss/Miche primato wheels didn't fit in the dropouts, so I suspect I could file the dropout down to accomodate if needs be. I gather RRS have slightly weirdly sized dropouts for some reason.

The components are a mixute of new, ebayed, and off my shelf. Nitto Noodle bars, Zenith Gran Compe stem (26mm/80mm/180mm), bar tape - cinelli cork. 105 10sp triple, 105 shifters, 105 FD, Deore M591 9sp RD, HG500-10 (11-32) cassette, Miche 'Performance' 57mm drop brakes, saddle: Spec Avatar Comp. Will frame fit my Zefal HpX pump, but may use my Topeak RM.

Apparently the RRS mid 80s+ originally came with 700C 25mm tyres, with 'no clearance for mudguards'. On mine I have Shimano RS100 , Panaracer Pasela 28mm tyres, and there seems to be a fair bit of clearance for some mudguards. So something to think about for next autumn/winter. Any people have any experience with MGs on RRS?

I wondered about a silver chainset (on shelf), but trying this black one for the moment. Had to be white bar tape though... ;)

Any thoughts/ ideas?

Andy

Last edited:

AndyRM

XOXO
That's a thing of beauty.

OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Thanks. My aims in this build were to use components (mainly 105 drvtrn) that I have on another steel frame do-it-all bike, so that if needed I could swap/mix & match, but also to end up with a bike that I would want to use regularly, and also for longer rides. TBH I was actually quite surprised that I could get all modern kit on to the frame e.g. fork and rear bridge all drilled for recessed bolts etc. Only been on a couple of short tester rides so far, & wasn't sure how the 74deg head angle would 'feel', but bike rides well - nicely balanced and relatively spritely.

Last edited:
Good morning,

I had one back when they were new and from memory there was space for a rear mudguard but a front one would overlap the pedals too much.

In my mind the Record Sprint was a crossover bike, either at the bottom end of the enthusiasts bikes range or the top end of non enthusiast bikes so it was a bit of a compromise, not a full on race bike or a sensible, practical boring every day bike.

Over the model's lifetime there were many variants and had it been made today it would definitely have had STI, but probably Sora or Tiagra, a step or two below 105. So making it into a modern usable bike fits with its original intention and is surely a far better idea the keeping it original and less functional?

Like the Triathlon model which was 531 tubes and forks with unspecified stays and Shimano 105, the Record Sprint was constrained by the target selling price, although the main tubes are 501 the forks were non-alloy (high tensile) steel for most, probably all model years and what the stays were made of didn't seem to get mentioned.

Raleigh didn't in general use unbranded CroMo for the parts that were not included on the sticker as 501/531 so I would expect the stays were also non alloy steel.

So your weight of 11.2kg is pretty good, there is an obvious saving in replacing the fork but given what you have said doing so would be pointless. :-)

Some model years came with a beautiful black and gold Sugino chainset, but 42/52 is out of fashion and there is almost no chance of finding one in good condition. :-(

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
andyoxon

andyoxon

Guru
Thanks, interesting. I've done just over a 1000 miles on it now, and it's a great ride; seems well balanced - I find it very comfortable, but not in an overly relaxed way IYSWIM. Now with a modded chainset - 24t (& Deda dogfang) instead of the std 30t, Brooks B17, and second bottle cage (custom fit, as no frame threads). Quite often use the Super C Audax bag, with classic rack.

Attachments

• PXL_20210523_084226817.jpg
    PXL_20210523_084226817.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20210829_053942059-001.jpg
    PXL_20210829_053942059-001.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Top Bottom