Raleigh Record Sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Warny

Über Member
Hi all,

I picked up what I thought was quite a tidy Raleigh recently. However, cracks have appeared on both chain stays, and one side has gone altogether (I'm not heavy and have only ridden the bike a few times). Is it worth getting welded do you think? Frame is Reynolds 501 CrMo.

Any advice much appreciated:-) Thanks.

Attachments

• Raleigh6.jpg
    Raleigh6.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Raleigh Record1.jpg
    Raleigh Record1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Raleigh Record2.jpg
    Raleigh Record2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 46
Good evening,

Unless there was a special that I missed all Record Sprints were 501 main tubes only, the forks and stays were standard hi-tensile/non alloy/carbon steel whatever you call it. As far as I can see the sticker says butted frame tubes which means this.

I would run a mile on the basis that someone could have been mucking about trying to widen the rear to fit something different, which may also put seat stay integrity into doubt.

It's a nice, but non standard chainset and side pulls replaced with centre pulls so someone had been dabling.

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks Ian, yes it's just 501 on the main tubes. I didn't even notice any cracks when I was cleaning up the bike so it's a bit strange. The Weinmann rims and other bits and pieces appear to be decent so maybe I'll just use it for parts.

midlife

Guru
Toast unfortunately, either cannibalise the bits for other projects / sell the bits or find a frame to transfer the bits over to.

OP
OP
W

Warny

Über Member
Thanks all, just unlucky on this one I reckon:sad:

Top Bottom