Raleigh Richmond c1980s Reynolds 531

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonnyrau

My bike, well second hand but at a bargain price I think its a steal! Any suggestions on upgrading it or should I just keep it as it is? I was thinking maybe a road bike conversion type thing, I am kinda new to biking so feel free to comment and advise!

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Ride it the way it is without any conversions, so you get used to how it handles, enjoy your cycling and when you feel the time is right, either upgrade with new wheels / handlebars / gearing ..etc etc or just keep an eye out for a dedicated second hand road bike and save £££ on the conversion charge :wacko:

Looks a good bike for a bargin price, so keep it that way and have fun on it

Edit : Remove the wheel reflectors, they do when loose become a danger

Norm

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

Can people give some advice on what to look for when buying new wheels and tyres? Also any advice on changing to drop bars?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Jonnyrau said:
Can people give some advice on what to look for when buying new wheels and tyres? Also any advice on changing to drop bars?

Try 'Know How' for drop bar advice and 'Bikes, Accessories, Kit and Clothing' for wheels.

Lovely bike BTW - Mrs 3BM has got the ladies version :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

It look like it would make a great fixed, but I don't like the look of that saddle.

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

It look like it would make a great fixed, but I don't like the look of that saddle.

I have now made some improvements. I have taken the mudguards off, the back railing, the front reflector, the bell, the reflectors on the wheels. I have also changed the tyres to shwalbe ones, I found it tough work finding tyres that size for 27 1/4 inch. Im thinking of changing the seat, taking the one on and replacing it with a brooks b17? Good idea?

Jonny

Can't remember how to post damn photos!

just keep it as it is what you feel is the most decisive element

stevevw

Guru
best thing you could do with that old wreck is give it to me.

Or do somthing like this to it.

DSCN4620.jpg

DSCN4599.jpg

DSCN4582.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

best thing you could do with that old wreck is give it to me.

Or do somthing like this to it.

wow that looks amazing, sweet rides. Were they once raleigh richmonds? I have both the ladies and the mens bikes. How did you put drop bars on? I am really keen to make my bike look something like yours!

stevevw

Guru
No idea what the man's bike was 70's Raliegh the womans is an 80's Ebony.
As you can see the Ebony has the changers on the stem like yours. All you will have to do to fit drops is get some bars, a pair of brake levers, bar tape and probably a new set of cables. Remove old bars etc and replace with the new bits as easy as that.

OP
OP
J

Jonnyrau

No idea what the man's bike was 70's Raliegh the womans is an 80's Ebony.
As you can see the Ebony has the changers on the stem like yours. All you will have to do to fit drops is get some bars, a pair of brake levers, bar tape and probably a new set of cables. Remove old bars etc and replace with the new bits as easy as that.

so no new gears required?

Top Bottom