Raleigh royal 2015/2016 sizing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annielsg

Hi!

I'm looking at a raleigh royal touring bike (i think 2016, royal blue colour) size 55cm second hand for sale. Can't travel to try it so wondering if anyone has this bike and has advice.

I'm just under 5ft9 (174cm) with inside leg 32"

Mixed messages from what i've seen online. I'm guessing the 55 will be a bit too big for me, but if anyone knows and could let me know that would be great. The bike's going for a good price!

thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi!

I'm looking at a raleigh royal touring bike (i think 2016, royal blue colour) size 55cm second hand for sale. Can't travel to try it so wondering if anyone has this bike and has advice.

I'm just under 5ft9 (174cm) with inside leg 32"

Mixed messages from what i've seen online. I'm guessing the 55 will be a bit too big for me, but if anyone knows and could let me know that would be great. The bike's going for a good price!

thanks!
You're a similar size to me, I ride bikes with a 54/55cm top tube - try to find the geometry chart for that model...all manufacturers measure a different part of the bike to get the 'size' (there's no standard)

classic33

Leg End Member
You're a similar size to me, I ride bikes with a 54/55cm top tube - try to find the geometry chart for that model...all manufacturers measure a different part of the bike to get the 'size' (there's no standard)
Why the top tube for frame size? I've always used the seat tube measurement method.

How Are Bikes Measured?
Bikes are measured by their seat tube length. This measurement is normally from the centre of the bottom bracket or the centre of the bolt that attached the crank arms.

Mountain bikes are either measured in inches or descriptive sizes such as small, medium etc. Road bikes are in centimetres or descriptive sizes whereas Hybrid bikes can be any one of the three. Bikes also get longer as they go up in size.

Think about your style of riding, measure your height and use the tables below, or view the table on the product page to find the right bike size for you.

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/bike-size-guide

vickster

Legendary Member
Cos the bikes I have all have a 54-55cm TT

As I said, there's no standard. I've only been considering bike sizes in cm since I got a road bike about 5 years ago and it's size related to the TT. Goes for 3 of the bikes I have. Boardman size with the seat tube but I looked at the TT measurement to choose the right size. I'm similarly proportioned to the OP and was just giving my experience

I don't think it matters either way

I can't see the Royal in your link. Perhaps the OP can ask the seller for Seat and top tube measurements?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. I can't find the geometry chart for it anywhere which is why i posted!
Ask the seller to measure?

There's a general size guide here. On that basis, is go for a 53. Might be ok on the 55 with a short stem but a gamble. Especially if you're female? And shorter of torso and arm. You might need a narrower bar fitted to the bigger frame which all adds cost

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-royal-2015/

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
On what basis as it's unknown what that 55 actually refers to? Unless you managed to find a chart? Link?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it's listed as size 55cm that should refer to the seat tube.
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Royal-2016-Touring-Bike_60757.htm

Top Bottom