Raleigh Royal. 23.5" Frame. Absolutely stunning. Sold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Parting with my 80s Raleigh Royal. Bought a few years ago and told it had only been ridden ten miles. The BB grease had turned to wax it had been stood that long. Cleaned out and new grease. It ran perfectly. Looks factory fresh. Looking carefully you might find a tiny mark or two. i can only see two. It had done 100 miles in my care. So a lifetime total of 130 miles. Just the suppliers original label is slightly torn. Even the chrome is untouched. Original saddle deteriorated so has been replaced with a colour match. Modern Continental tyres fitted. I've also fitted a six speed freewheel but the bike will also come with the unused original Suntour 5 speed freewheel.I want £335 for this and I think it is worth every penny. A very, very reluctant sale. Pickup North Manchester.

50069584172_ebdc500b50_c.jpg
50069326441_2eeb653f30_c.jpg
50068770143_30245a8bc4_c.jpg
50069583077_7540b08959_c.jpg
50069326186_0866fde25a_c.jpg
50069326776_4c842387dc_c.jpg
50068770543_548f5af996_c.jpg

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
I've too many bikes (again) but that is gorgeous.:wub:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Very Nice :becool:

That's not just nice, it's super nice as they like to say on GCN! :laugh:
Exactly the same size and year as mine, 1985 with the anniversary 531 stickers. They cost the equivalent of £1k in today's money when they were new. Mine is not so immaculate but then it was my sort of price. Lovely frames and can be deceptively quick since they are so smooth not buzzy. They don't feel especially fast but they can be made to shift along.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
I sold a very similar bike earlier this year, they're very nice. Yours is exceptional.
Thanks. Really it's a new bike but OLN if that makes any sense. Might have a go at removing that torn label later. But bothered about disturbing the paint. Any ideas anybody.

I would leave the label as it is , let the new owner decide what to do with it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You really don't want a Raleigh Royal anyway. Old-fashioned steel, old-fashion friction shifters, old-fashioned 27" wheels. Completely obsolete. Belongs in a museum. No good for actually riding. You wouldn't like it at all......:laugh:
No but both you and I would enjoy it , I am just glad it's too far away for me

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No but both you and I would enjoy it , I am just glad it's too far away for me

I certainly do enjoy riding mine, and intend to give it a run out today. That frame really is super smooth and comfortable, even on less than great surfaces. Whilst I'd be the first one to admit the few cosmetic marks on mine do detract a bit from it's overall appearance compared to the one in this thread, they don't detract from how it rides, and because it's not too perfect I'm not so precious about it that I'm frightened to use it. I won't be looking for a more pristine one, but longer term I might try to touch mine up here and there and make it more presentable, if I can manage it without making it look worse! The rusty headset chrome is by far the biggest eyesore and won't be hard to rectify so long as the threads are ISO and not Raleigh specials. I've a feeling that this, not being a 3-speed roadster, and also being built away from the masses due to the 531 frame may not have Raleigh threads.

Top Bottom