Raleigh Royal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex11

I'm looking at a road/touring bike for road use but maybe some light toe paths or trekks etc., been looking at the Raleigh Royal, what do you think? What's the weight like? Anyone got one?

Thanks!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
It received a decent review in the CTC magazine. It represents value for money. You might want to compare it with its equivalent from theEdinburgh Bike Co-operative's range.

Teuchter

Über Member
Funnily enough I've been thinking of these as well, probably early next year after thinning down my current bike collection. Just not sure if I wouldn't be better off spending a similar amount of money on an older but higher quality touring bike instead. Maybe something like an older Galaxy or even one of the original 531 framed Raleigh Royals. Seen 80s and 90s versions go relatively cheaply and that would leave the difference for upgrading here and there while still coming in about the same price as a new Raleigh Royal.

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Will it ride as well as a road bike for instance? I've got a not very good road bike currently and I'm guessing a nice quality tourer is going to ride better? Better wheels and tyres maybe?

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Funnily enough I've been thinking of these as well, probably early next year after thinning down my current bike collection. Just not sure if I wouldn't be better off spending a similar amount of money on an older but higher quality touring bike instead. Maybe something like an older Galaxy or even one of the original 531 framed Raleigh Royals. Seen 80s and 90s versions go relatively cheaply and that would leave the difference for upgrading here and there while still coming in about the same price as a new Raleigh Royal.

I'm after STI shifters as this is a replacement for my now sold road bike

Teuchter

Über Member
I'm after STI shifters as this is a replacement for my now sold road bike
Ah, while I'm thinking of this to replace my Tiagra equipped Specialized Allez, I can live without brifters and after my recent Peugeot restoration, have been getting to quite like friction downtube shifters again!

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

Now thinking to just go cheap and very very cheerful with a Triban 3?

OP
OP
Alex11

Alex11

It's a little over my budget. I've realised I'm after something lighter than the Royal, 15kg, and the Triban is 10kg and fits what I'm after and it gives me a little left over for a few bits to go on it!

bigjim

Legendary Member
10kg seems a bit light for any loaded touring. That Raleigh Royal is not that heavy if you consider a new Galaxy is close to 14KG and a lot more money. You still have a comfy steel frame. It will last you a long time and a few upgrades over the years will take the weight down. Does 1kg make that much difference?
I have an original 531 Raleigh Royal that weighs just over 12KG with 8 speed indexed downtube shifters. I've had the Frame spread to take a modern rear wheel. A nice one of these is well worth having. and I find it a joy to ride I'm off to France with it in two weeks.
6909268885_a157e512e9_z.jpg

Skyking

Hi guys, not new to cycling, but as I haven't seen a Raleigh royal 2013 in the flesh, I was wondering if the front fork rack mount has Ben sorted? I'm looking to buy one, but other sites have noted a problem with the forks, anybody with any info? Also, keen to know what the max tyre size this beastie can take? I've got lots of very good parts to upgrade my intended purchase, but wonder what owners think of the frame quality? Thanks all!

Top Bottom