Raleigh Royal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
...the field gate sized 25" was dropped.

’Field gate’^_^ I had a professional bike fit a few years ago - 83cm (32 1/2”) was the distance from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle that was recommended, assuming 175mm cranks. It’s nice to have a bike that doesn’t have a yard of seatpost showing!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
’Field gate’^_^ I had a professional bike fit a few years ago - 83cm (32 1/2”) was the distance from the centre of the BB to the top of the saddle that was recommended, assuming 175mm cranks. It’s nice to have a bike that doesn’t have a yard of seatpost showing!

I think field gate is a fair description of 25" steel frames. :laugh: There's plenty of daylight in between the tubes!
Agree with you completely about not having loads of seatpost sticking out. It's also one of my cycling pet hates and one reason I will not buy modern bikes with undersized compact geometry frames and top tubes that slope at silly angles. They look like kids bikes still being ridden by someone who has outgrown them to me. If I apply the Lemond saddle height formula to your stated fit dimensions it suggests you have an inside leg measurement somewhere close to 37", which rather explains why you ride a 25"frame! If I was having a custom steel frame made for myself, I would specify it to be 24" assuming a normal road use BB height- but given the cost would require me to have a stiff drink to overcome the shock, I'll make do with 23 1/2" off the peg.

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy I have only used hub motors in the past but you are suggesting a crank one, can you explain why please? Are they more powerful, better suited to gearing?

They can be less powerful but with the advantages of gearing will get you up any hill.

I made a TSDZ2 crank motor for my wife. Its limited to 300 Watts max. She can get up hills easily-all she does is drop onto the easiest gear and still has 300W available ontop of her 120W, so climbing @420W-thats is alot of climbing power.

The more powerful Bafang BBSHD will add another level of power compared to the TSDZ2.

Id suggest you look to try a crank based ebike. You can hire E-MTB for a day at common cycle spots.

Regarding the bike, I looked at Genesis bike, the criteria I mentioned, Genesis do this model

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/Smithfield-2020

Also the Brixton-derailleur version

A bargain currently

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/brixton

Flat handlebars, big tyres, rack, mudguards and disc brakes

Now this is my Mrs Genesis Columbia bike(with TSDZ2)

-almost identical but womans shopper frame. I bought hers(new) for less than half price of retail, by getting the last year's model. Good deals are out there

Last edited:
OP
OP
gucu

gucu

Regular
Yes that is why I am thinking the Royal might be fine but if I stick a motor to it the brakes will let it down. I will continue looking. Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
gucu

gucu

Regular
I hadn't seen the post by @CXRAndy Thanks for looking out those bikes, they look perfect. I'll look into the Bafang as well. Ok the Royal is definitely going so @biggs682 it is yours when you are ready. PM me your address and I'll let you know the cost. I'm in Lostwithiel, Cornwall, generally miles from everybody else!

Top Bottom