Raleigh Royal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'll post pictures but also point out that the bike wheel is jammed. I am currently soaking in oil to see if I can free it, other than it looks in good condition. I like the idea of passing the bike on to someone with expertise who can restore and rather than get money for it, give it to them. It seems a good thing to do and fits with who I am as a person.

A very generous offer indeed and I would normally jump at the offer but I have enough projects to keep me going .

If nobody else wants it then it can happily go in my to do pile

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'll post pictures but also point out that the bike wheel is jammed. I am currently soaking in oil to see if I can free it, other than it looks in good condition. I like the idea of passing the bike on to someone with expertise who can restore and rather than get money for it, give it to them. It seems a good thing to do and fits with who I am as a person.
I think an NHS donation from the donee would chime with the times :smile:

OP
OP
gucu

gucu

Regular
@biggs682 Just uploaded some photos for you to view.

Attachments

• IMG_20200407_130926.jpg
    IMG_20200407_130926.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200407_130931.jpg
    IMG_20200407_130931.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200407_130936.jpg
    IMG_20200407_130936.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 24

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's a 1997 Pioneer Jaguar, 4130 cro-moly steel frame, top of the range at the time. @Rickshaw Phil on here has had one from new and goes touring on his. Apparently he's done over100 miles in a day on it. I find them comfortable enough for 30-40 miles, which is as far as I ride. I prefer the lugged & brazed 501 version of the Pioneer frame given the choice, but that's splitting hairs. If you can find a decent Raleigh Pioneer, in the right frame size for you, and at the right price, you won't be disappointed. I find the bars a bit wide as standard, and have cut mine down from their original 24 1/2" to 23". Improves rider comfort, IMHO, and goes through barriers easier.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Since I've been name-checked, +1 for the Raleigh Pioneer being a better base for the project described. They are available for not much money, are nice to ride and solidly built.

I can confirm that I do regular century rides on mine in the warmer months, although the spec is somewhat different now to when it was built.;)

All uphill

Still rolling along
I’ve posted this before, but seeing as @gucu is a new member, here’s my Raleigh Pioneer:

View attachment 513328

That was as bought, it’s now got new wheels, tyres and a better rack, but everything else is the same.
I love that you have got the world's longest pump to fit that frame!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Pioneer pictured by @simon.r is a very early one, probably a 1990 model, given the caliper rim brakes. For the first couple of years Raleigh made them, the mens ones were available in 21", 23 1/2", and 25" sizes like the one pictured. After about 1992 they were only made in 21" and 23 1/2" and the field gate sized 25" was dropped.. The early ones also had semi-MTB like ground clearance under the BB, which makes the standover height of the crossbar an inch taller. You can tell if it's one of those by looking at the length of the head tube if you are familiar with the different variations. For the rider with shorter legs, the very early ones may be best avoided if standover clearance is an issue. My pub bike was a 1991 23 1/2" Pioneer (before I managed to crack the frame!) and even with my inside leg of 33 1/2" I still had to be careful with dismounts. :eek: I've since replaced it with another 23 1/2" Pioneer frame, from 1993 IIRC, and it has the lower BB height and more standover clearance even though it's nominally the same size.

CXRAndy

Guru
After reading the thread and your other in Ebike forum, I'd get a 700c wide tyre framed hard tail hybrid/trail bike.

You will find most have flat handlebars and disc brakes. Ideally hydraulic brakes for best performance.

Then fit a crank based motor, keep the rear derailleur setup. The power and gearing will get you up hills with comfort

OP
OP
gucu

gucu

Regular
Thanks for all the replies. Hugely helpful. Well ok time to send the Raleigh to someone that can use it better. I still like the Raleigh name though and the suggestion of a Pioneer has got me interested but at the same time @CXRAndy has come up with a fresh and new idea. Does Raleigh do a hard tail frame with 700c wheels please? Needs to be steel. Thanks

simon.r

Person
Needs to be steel. Thanks

IME you’ll struggle to get a reasonable quality, reasonably priced new bike with a steel frame.

They tend to be either very cheap and nasty or high end.

Getting a frame only is more likely I’d think, but I’m happy to be proved wrong:smile:

Top Bottom