Raleigh Royale circa 1968? 5speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
apologies if this is a zombie thread, but I've an interest in TI Raleigh exports.
From 1963, Raleighs and their badge engineered siblings were manufactured under under license in Hastings New Zealand by Morrison Industries. This was done to get around the severe import restrictions that stayed in place until the mid-1980s. However, until the mid to late 1970s, Morrisons confined themselves to producing Sports Models, children's bikes and, later, a local variant of the 20. Sportier models were still imported, often TKD, from the UK.
I picked up this (Worksop produced?) Royale (yes, there's an "e") to scavenge the Milremo stem, GB Courier brakes, and nice three pin cranks for another project (a 63 Jack Taylor Sports). It is, however, too good to break up. Even the brake housing is original. I need to figure what seat it had. Possibly a Wrights, or low-end Brooks.
The catalogue says this 5 speed hi-ten bike sold for NZD 75.00 in 1970. That's NZD 1277.00 in today's money, which would just about get you a Claris-equipped alloy road bike (if you wanted one)
Other bits include Normandy hubs spoked Continental style (i.e. 36h F & R) to Sturmey Archer 27 x 1-1/4 chromed steel rims. Shifting is done by the gorgeously gaudy Simplex Prestige.
These bikes were marketed under different brand names, including Rudge and Carlton.
Interestingly, the model up, complete with 531 frame and Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleurs was marketed in NZ as the Record, which in the US market, was a name reserved for Raleigh's cheapest 10 speed (according to Sheldon Brown). More popular was the 531 Carlton Competition, usually in white & blue livery. These were a hot bike with the hard-charging 70s/80s club touring scene in Christchurch NZ.
These pre-10 speed boom sports tourers were never around in huge numbers. 7 or 8 years later, Morrisons would start producing their own "10 Speeds", the Raleigh Arena and the somewhat nicer Morrison Monark. Though they sold incredibly well, neither were as good looking as the Royale, which looks classier than it actually is.
Hope this fills in some detail on the Royale.
View attachment 589380
Wrapover seat stays suggest a Carlton (Worksop) built frame probably in 'Truwel' tubing :becool:

Top Bottom