Raleigh Solo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Out on a ride yesterday and saw this in a skip, luckily the chap was just getting out of his car so I asked him if I could have it and pick it up this morning.

It's hardly a classic but it's from around 1985 going by the date on the Maillard front hub, which being alloy is one less thing to clean rust off^_^
The frame is only 20" so too small for me, but I'll see if I can persuade the missus to give it a go when it's cleaned up

standalone
standalone
standalone

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks ripe for the job and love the saddle or cover

Looks like you will be busy during the winter mate.
A good stripdown and clean, new bar tape, tyres and you will be almost there. I'd be tempted to lose the dangerous GT aero brake levers though, had a few problems myself back in the early 80's on a Raleigh Supersport 12. I chopped them flush with the brake hoods to save making spacers up. Then sold the bike to a bloke at work, he rode it no problem for years.
Well done, well spotted!:thumbsup:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice one! I think these were meant for teenagers. I should be inclined to keep the suicide levers unlike Minotier as they are evocative of the period, just don't use them.

Nice one! I think these were meant for teenagers. I should be inclined to keep the suicide levers unlike Minotier as they are evocative of the period, just don't use them.
Good point Cycleops, it would retract from the look, just don't try using them. Sadly I did once and ended up as part of the scenery.:blush:

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
I had another pair of Weinmann suicide levers which have polished up nice, and will go on some GB 'bars that have polished up well too, to replace the chrome steel ones. Calipers are polishing up nicely too. Had a new saddle/post that came off wifey's BSO so that can go on.

The rear mech will be replaced with a Huret Eco from the same period. Frame has a few scrapes but nothing serious, But those mudguards were shot so they're binned.

OP
OP
PoweredByVeg

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Just looked up the frame No. NS5007143 on wikipedia. Looks like it was made in Nottingham, December 1985, I reckon the paint shop was desperate to clear off for Xmas and rushed it through, going by the sparse coating of paint on it!!

Top Bottom