Raleigh Team N+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
N+1 has arrived: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1980s-RALEIGH-TEAM-RACER-RACING-BIKE-/190846509447

$T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugN8jBRomgrG37g~~60_58.JPG

Bought for a very reasonable sum.

I've given it quick (5 minute) check-over, pumped up tyres, etc. and it all seems OK apart from the rear wheel needing trueing and a couple of spokes. The tyres seem new although have sidewall cracks due to age/deflation and there's new brake blocks all round.

Plans? Some light restoration, fix the spokes/rear wheel, replace the saddle and it'll probably replace the Ammaco Tony Doyle which was always a bit small for me.

It'll also need new brake hoods; Weinmann ones (since I've rechecked thanks to Cycleops prompt :shy: ). Any ideas where I could source these?

Some advice on year/model would help. It's 18-23 steel, weighs about 12kg, 12 speed but I can't see any model/frame no. I'm guessing 1984 ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks to be in quite nice condition, probably about early eighties, maybe earlier. It was a budget model so I am guessing Huret gears and steel rims. Strange you saying it has exage brake levers, maybe a later fitment. Should make a fine runabout.

compo

Veteran
I have just "done up" an identical bike, although in a lot worse condition than yours. There are plenty of hoods on Ebay. I was surprised at the price of them. Eventually I found a pair levers and hoods complete cheaper than most people asking just for hoods.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hood-wise, I've found these in black: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cane-cre...creek-road-brake-lever-hoods-black-prod26321/ and tan http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cane-cre...rake-lever-hoods-tan-prod26320/#bottomsection for £9.99, which should start the refurb process.

Just got to decide whether it's tan or black which goes best.

The problem of buying hoods for vintage bikes is fit. It is pot luck for a perfect fit. Unless you are after perfect period restoration which I doubt why don't you just get a brand new set of levers e.g. Dia compe, either in black or gum, for pretty much the same price as hoods? Or if you prefer sjs has aero ones. You would then be assured the rubber is fresh and the fit is perfect, likely far more comfy too.

I tend to think that bike is late 80's and perhaps even early 90's. It is those gear levers. I am not sure if early 80's levers for this level bikes would be brazed-on's and with that design. Has it got 27" or 700c?

I think they were made to look like Raleigh works racing machines earlier (pages from 87 catalogue below).

1987raleighcat_uk_01_lg.jpg
1987raleighcat_uk_05_lg.jpg

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The problem of buying hoods for vintage bikes is fit. It is pot luck for a perfect fit. Unless you are after perfect period restoration which I doubt why don't you just get a brand new set of levers e.g. Dia compe, either in black or gum, for pretty much the same price as hoods? Or if you prefer sjs has aero ones. You would then be assured the rubber is fresh and the fit is perfect, likely far more comfy too.

I tend to think that bike is late 80's and perhaps even early 90's. It is those gear levers. I am not sure if early 80's levers for this level bikes would be brazed-on's and with that design. Has it got 27" or 700c?

The wheels are 700c, which makes me think that it's later than '84.

New levers are an option - thanks for the suggestion. It'll not be a period restoration; funds won't allow it, instead it's about making it serviceable.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It seems the best clue to age are the gears. In 1980 Sachs Fichtel bought a controlling interest in Huret and gradually changed the brand to Sachs Huret. Then in 1987 Mannesman, an engineering conglomerate bought the company and changed the name back to just "Sachs". Given that the Raleigh sales leaflet is 1987 showing the team colours it is probable your bike would have been produced between '85 and ''87, maybe a little earlier. If you post a pic of the rear mech it may be able to narrow it more.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
N+1 has arrived: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1980s-RALEIGH-TEAM-RACER-RACING-BIKE-/190846509447

$T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugN8jBRomgrG37g~~60_58.JPG

Bought for a very reasonable sum.

I've given it quick (5 minute) check-over, pumped up tyres, etc. and it all seems OK apart from the rear wheel needing trueing and a couple of spokes. The tyres seem new although have sidewall cracks due to age/deflation and there's new brake blocks all round.

Plans? Some light restoration, fix the spokes/rear wheel, replace the saddle and it'll probably replace the Ammaco Tony Doyle which was always a bit small for me.

It'll also need new brake hoods; Weinmann ones (since I've rechecked thanks to Cycleops prompt :shy: ). Any ideas where I could source these?

Some advice on year/model would help. It's 18-23 steel, weighs about 12kg, 12 speed but I can't see any model/frame no. I'm guessing 1984 ?

I had one almost exactly the same when I was 15 which was in 1986/7. It holds very fond memories for me and I am a little bit envious. The one I had was the budget model as well. This one looks in pretty good condition considering the age.

Stephen brown

I had that bike, 25 years ago, it was £195, or £1.95 a week for 2 years out of my mums Trafford catalogue, 12 speed if I remember, that said I picked a gear it did not slip in and never changed, I dread to think how many miles I did on that bike, but over 3 years I bet it was approaching 10k, as the paper round must have been 10 and school another 15 plus everything else

I think it was called the " team Kellogg's", I always wanted the "the team Banana" but if memory served me right that was way out of reach at a lofty £2.95 a week......

Strange thing, I never ever remember getting. Puncture, not even once, seem to get 1 a month now......

Top Bottom