Raleigh Technium.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Saw this today at a roadside bike shop. Never seen or heard of the model before but it a Raleigh USA.
Aluminium according to the frame sticker but very heavy. In incredible condition for its age which must be around thirty years. Looks almost unused.
The guy wanted £80 for it. My size too.
Worth a punt?

IMG_20220913_152653.jpg

IMG_20220913_152519.jpg

IMG_20220913_152536.jpg

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
At that price, if it's your size range, get it.

Release Year: 1989
Last Year Released: 1995
Weight: 29 - 31lbs

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
At first I thought it couldn’t be aluminium due to the small diameter tubing, like a steel bike. There are what look to be lugs but are almost flush with the tubing, very odd. It real is quite heavy, what you might expect a steel frame bike to weigh. Could be bonded?
Could it be the tubes are almost solid? The rear stays almost certainly are.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'll try to go back and get a pic of the lugs. Interesting to see internal cabling to the back brake. Could this have been a first?
Groupo is 6 speed Suntour with a freewheel.

PedalPedantic

It is a 1989 Raleigh USA Technium Pre. These had 6061-T8 Aluminum maintubes. Everything else, including front fork and head-tube, was Tange chrome-moiy. The steel lugs are thermal-bonded, but the system uses three securing mechanisms 1.) the flux 2.) Lugs are heated and then tubing inserted, so the lugs fasten the tubes 3.) a lock-ring on the lug that the tubing snaps into.
I have the same bike, but have up-graded all of the components, including a Kinesis aluminum fork. The bike weighs 20 lbs. It has been my long-distance bike for many years and I love it.
the only problem with it is the Accushift system goes out of whack about every 200 miles. I got sick of this and went back to friction.
I really can not understand how you came to the assessment that the bike in your post is "heavy".

Attachments

• P2150031.JPG
    P2150031.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 26
  • P2150032.JPG
    P2150032.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom