Raleigh twenty front forks t slot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianpallen

Über Member
Hi. I am restoring a R20 and have stripped it down and ready to spray. I removed the front forks and noticed a T slot in the stem. Can someone please tell me what it is for. I watched a thread and it mentioned removing the forks and said be careful about dropping the bearing. Is there a bearing that fits in the T cut out for something, or was the post on about the bottom bearings of the forks. Thanks in advance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure on the R20 but a lot of Raleigh forks have a slot that engages with a tab on a lock ring to prevent the top race from moving, ham fisted 'mechanics' have been known to force the nut tighter to 'adjust' the play in the headset.

Piccies would be useful.

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
This is the slot.

Attachments

• DSC_0016.JPG
    DSC_0016.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
I have kept the plastic bushing for now. I have been looking at getting a bearing race set for it and a different raleigh handle bar stem. I am thinking of keeping the original pedals and changing the wheels for BMX ones and single speed.
I wss thinking about the "T" slot and had an idea what it was for after I wrotethe question, but was still not too sure until reassembling the bike. At least, I hope I have re=assembled the front forks the right way. My memory i terrible and I forgot to take photos of it. lol. I remembered to take pics of the witing in he headlight though.
This is a before and after of the bike. I have not finished rebuilding it yet.

Attachments

• 47498402-138-640x360.jpg
    47498402-138-640x360.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0017 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0017 - Copy.JPG
    333.8 KB · Views: 3
The conversion to BMX wheels is well worth it - saves a lot of weight, brakes perform better, tyres/tubes easily available.

Speaking of brakes, you'll have to go for longer reach ones when BMX wheels are installed. The rear brake can be fitted to the front, as it has the longer reach needed. The threaded part has to be changed over as the fork needs the longer bolt. That leaves the rear, and I expect a fairly easy solution could be found.

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
Thanks. I thought the brakes would need to be different.
I am also thinking of bmx mag wheels instead of spokes.
A better seat as the one on mine feels a little uncomfortable. Both of miine have Brooke saddles, but one is rock hard and the other is plastic on top of plastic and has split at the material join.
I have a gel saddle somewhere, but have to find it and my shed is a mess. lol.

LardAbove

@ianpallen .... BMX on my Kingpin [folder]

Plates made to drop the stock calipers to suit rim.

LardAbove🚴

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_165254.jpg
    IMG_20230620_165254.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom