Raleigh vintage model identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercury57

Regular
I have got this lovely bike in full working order, it has 3 speed gears and dynamo lights and is a great ride.
It seems to be fully original, with a carrier under the seat and the pump even works.
I also have the manual but there is no mention of what model or year it might be from.
Can anyone tell me the model and year by any chance?
Thanks for looking.
Mark
Raleigh-Gents.jpg

image link https://image.ibb.co/i1Ufkf/Raleigh-Gents.jpg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Looks for all the world like a superbe. They made them like that for decades, a real time warp. I was PDI'ing them new in the 70's complete with rod brakes lol

The rear hub should have a date code on it as should the frame (frame number).

Cracking condition :smile:

ConnoisseurEquator

Hi
I would also say a Superb with the battery option. That will give you 2mn of light when you stop.
Got one too
Pic as i bought it. No more rod brakes.

Attachments

• $_57-1.JPG
    $_57-1.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 81

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Looks for all the world like a superbe. They made them like that for decades, a real time warp. I was PDI'ing them new in the 70's complete with rod brakes lol

I'm pretty sure my local Raleigh dealer still had rod-braked roadsters on display into the very early 1980's, never mind the 1970's. I remember being rather fascinated by these bikes, that looked like museum pieces straight out of the shop - although I opted for a drop bar "racer" myself
Looking at the style of the decal on the downtube of the OP's machine, I'm inclined to think it's quite a recent one and probably a lot younger than the OP expects! The actual age is immaterial really, what counts is the design and the build quality, and these old Raleighs always looked really well built and nicely finished.

ConnoisseurEquator

Mine is from 1982.
As is my Connoisseur.
The All Steels came with a key too.
I removed the rod brakes and replaced them with normal Raleigh ones. But it is reversible. The rods are useless under the rain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mercury57

mercury57

Regular
Thank you so much for all the replies.
It does have a lock on the front forks.
The battery backup chamber was unfortunately severely corroded.
I managed to get the batteries out (which was very difficult) but the tube itself is beyond use.
I decided to bypass it (and remove the tube) but have kept the unit (which is the the filter switch type)
The decal on the frame below the seat says Raleigh Recorder, perhaps that is significant?
Here's some photos of what's stamped on the rear hub.

WP-20181021-17-12-06-Pro-2.jpg
WP-20181021-17-12-49-Pro-3.jpg

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So this is probably a 1968 Superbe, right?

The dating on the SA hub points in that direction, but remember wheels are easily swapped and often have been swapped due to becoming damaged or rusty. It's good evidence of age but never take anything as gospel - always look for other clues as well, such as specs & illustrations from old manufacturers catalogues.

Drago

Legendary Member
The plot thickens. The hub indicates 1o6i, but the style of font on the 'Raleigh' frame decal marks it as a 1980s bike. Is the decal a later addition?

Top Bottom