Ramblings from a Raleigh Road Ace EX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
Yes. You can use a paint pen. Get the smallest point you can find in the colour you want. 1mm works for me.
Clean frame well with meths then just draw on with the pen, when you cock up (you will) just wipe off the paint quick with meths and start again.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Second vote on the paint pen. I used a gold sharpie to pinstripe the lugs on a couple of my bikes - it is dead quick and easy, and looks perfectly good and is even acceptably durable.

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
Got her back from the paint shop on Saturday. To my eyes they did a very good job.

WP_20150718_12_44_36_Pro.jpg WP_20150718_12_44_44_Pro.jpg WP_20150718_12_44_49_Pro.jpg

The colour turned out better then I though. They did a great job of masking up however went a bit heavy handed with the blasting causing the lower race on the forks to be a tad loose, but it was fine with a small shim

OP
OP
RyanW

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
I did get a bit carried away, she is basically done. Bar a few finishing touches (Raleigh head badge needs to be bought and added, as does the 531c decals and maybe some other ones, however as i have taken her away from what she originally was it does not feel right adding back all the same ones.

So here she is, I see her as a gentleman's racer.

IMG_2198.JPG IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2201.JPG

sorry about the pics it looked like it was about to rain so a bit of a hurry. Just for teh sake of it, here is a before pic.
IMG_1680.JPG

She rides great, need to get the saddle right which is taking some time. She's a bit lively but the gears and wheels are smooth. She also starts whistling if i go over ~15mph guess it means she is happy (Its actually going to drive me mad so really need to work out what it is.)

Saddle colour is a bit off the bar tape, but i hope after i add some proofhide / buff it it will lighten up.

Has been great fun restoring it, just need to get some miles done now. True test to make sure I tightened everything up...

Will up load a few more pics of her out and about soon. I was going to take a few mid restoration images but it all went together so smoothly I completely forgot (I normally took them as and when something was getting on my nerves as a way to take 5)

Total cost to restore... Too much (Any SHMBO knows about the site) was it worth it. You tell me :smile:

Top Bottom