Randonneur ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

waynec

Hello , I am new to this site I have decided to take up cycling again after many years away........
So I have just bought off ebay what was advertised as a Raleigh Randonneur (for the spec/info search ebay for Item:260598113634 ) The bike however says on it Record Ace, I was assured that despite this it was a Randonneur as the brakes that it has fitted were not used on the Record Ace......I am now feeling a little foolish as I paid quite a lot for this second hand bike that on closer inspection is only in very average condition (£471.00) and is probably not a Randonneur after all (why would anyone put Record Ace on it) I my knowledge is limited in this area and some impartial input from elsewhere would be most welcome.
Photo,s and tech info are still available on ebay.....:sad:
Item number:260598113634

Bandini

Ooof! I don't know much about either bike - but a quick google seems to suggest it ain't worth much:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-310891.html

When you put in the item number, it says that the seller changed the description. Sound like you might have a case for getting your money back.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I see he changed the description 10 minutes before you put your last bid on, however you had bid before then so you wouldn't necessarily check the description every time you put a new bid on.

The change in description about 531c being used on top of the range tourers is a load of old tosh - I stand to be corrected. 531c is competition and st is for tourers. The st has a heavier gauge down tube and overall is a much stiffer frame to allow for a fully loaded bike weighted down with whatever you're taking on tour.

However it's still a handsome looking bike if a bit on the pricey side - the perils of ebay.

Welcome to the forum BTW :laugh:

OP
OP
W

waynec

threebikesmcginty said:
I see he changed the description 10 minutes before you put your last bid on, however you had bid before then so you wouldn't necessarily check the description every time you put a new bid on.
However it's still a handsome looking bike if a bit on the pricey side - the perils of ebay.

Thank you for your welcome and response.......
I suppose my main concern is whether or not it is a Randonneur as I understand they are quite a desirable bike....
It has got items on it that the RRA supposedly didn,t ie; bar end gear shifters and centre pull breaks, do you know if there is definitive way to identify a Randonneur ?

You commenting on its handsomeness (is that a word) has cheered me up a bit..!!

just jim

As the owner of a Randy I can say it is a reliable bit of workhorse steel for the money. Despite the overly mellifluous description (gold hand lining - where? wtf?) you have a decent set of components, though the lack of a third chainring might make loaded hill climb a bit tricky. I guess that's where the "extra low" 34t sprocket comes in handy. I'm not sure what the overall paintwork is like but the fork might need a bit of attention. As long as the frame is the right size for you, everything else can be fixed/ improved over time. I notice the top tube has a couple of dings on it the seller has failed to mention.

Oh yes - bar end shifters and canti bakes are quite standard fittings!

just jim

Hold on a mo - I should have read your question about it actually being a randy or not, and I suspect it might not be - the "Randonneur" lettering is usually discrete, but clear on the top tube which this isn't. Maybe you should ask him what it says or doesn't say. Mine has an all blue paint job, but earlier models have a slight two-tone paint job with the head tube painted white, (or a slight off-white).

I think this is what I had in mind: link

OP
OP
W

waynec

Thanks for your comments Jim.....
the bike actually says on it Record Ace, however the vendor says that it is definitely a Randonneur due to the centre pull brakes and bar end shifters not having been fitted to RRA,s ..........I bought it because I wanted something like the Dawes Galaxy......if it is not a Randonneur then I would not have paid so much for it.......
is it possible to identify a Randonneur exactly .....Frame number for instance.
It does have what looks like an original 531 c sticker on it.
I am beginning to wonder if it is just a frame that has had various bits attached ....and then called a Randonneur to get a good price.
I suppose provided it rides well i should just put it down to experience or lack of.

just jim

I think if it is not positively identifiable as a Randonneur, then he can't say that, unless he's sure of the bikes provenance. If it says "Randonneur" on the cross bar, it's a Randonneur. If it says "Record Ace" it's a....you see where I'm going? Those good folk at Nottingham didn't mess us around.

"I am beginning to wonder if it is just a frame that has had various bits attached ....and then called a Randonneur to get a good price. "

I'm thinking you might be right!

The thing is, it might be a nice bike to ride, once you take ownership of it and you are willing to put it down to experience.

OP
OP
W

waynec

I contacted the vendor of the bike I purchased and asked him why he called it a Randonneur I would be interested to know what you think of his reply........

OK....In the mid 90's the Randonneur was still Reynolds 531 and when they started to build it out of some other steel, they offered the frame-set, the 531c frame set, to end users. These people had the option of having these frames painted by third parties or the factory. Many of these frames got used for the new sport of cyclocross, as they were lightweight and had cantilever brakes, but they are the same frames as the 531 Randonneur used.
What I did was built up a factory frame back into into a Raleigh Randonneur bicycle.
A Randonneur is a cyclist who enjoys long distance non competitive fast rides typically 200 kms to 1200 kms known as randonnées . Machines are fast, stable well braked, lightweight and have reasonable luggage ability. They are sportier than tourers like the Dawes Galaxy

just jim

So, it is not a Raleigh "Randonneur" then. And Cyclocross- new in the 90's? No.
Interesting thread here on Galaxys/ Randonneurs

I think I may have one of the last Nottingham made Randonneurs which used Reynolds 708 tubing. It is definitely a Randonneur, cos it says so on the side!

Top Bottom