Ransomware back in the news

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
New attack being reported at present. More sophisticated than WannaCry, the last one.

Unknown if it's the same people behind the WannaCry attack.

I'm amazed how fast it dropped off the BBC news page. Lots of people in the IT community crowing about others not updating, even when all the info wasn't in.
Seems this one can be prevented from running by putting a read only file called 'perfc.' In c:\windows.

So it's time to blame some victims and move on without rethinking email, bitcoin, or how all this can apparently be done with ease.

Drago

Legendary Member
I see the alarmists are complaining that the HMS Queen Elizabeth is running XP, and is therefore vulnerable to cyber attack. That these computers aren't connected to the web, and don't have disc drives or USB ports etc, seems to have been lost in them.

I see the alarmists are complaining that the HMS Queen Elizabeth is running XP, and is therefore vulnerable to cyber attack. That these computers aren't connected to the web, and don't have disc drives or USB ports etc, seems to have been lost in them.
No internet or USB connection is a help but does not prevent attack. US demonstrated that with stuxnet attacking irans nuclear centrifuges by identifying and infecting its suppliers.

Tin Pot

Guru

Windows for Warships TM, ha ha. That takes me back.

Drago

Legendary Member
No internet or USB connection is a help but does not prevent attack. US demonstrated that with stuxnet attacking irans nuclear centrifuges by identifying and infecting its suppliers.

Except that has not happened. Or if it has, the attempt was unsuccessful. They're on the ship, they're working, they're isolated physically and electronically from the rest of the world.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Of course if governmental organisations spend lots of money finding these exploits, keeping them secret so they can use them and then losing control of them, they are at least partially culpable.

Except that has not happened. Or if it has, the attempt was unsuccessful. They're on the ship, they're working, they're isolated physically and electronically from the rest of the world.

There are ways of attacking air gapped systems. The only safe solution is to build in security.

Tin Pot

Guru
Let's not go into threat vectors? Infosec threat modelling for a warship is going to be pretty boring, imho. Although the suppliers of the systems, BAE, Babcock or Thales could theoretically be compromised and supply compromised systems, the fact they're running one OS or another is actually irrelevant - then there's the checks carried out on the systems before they're used, and the whole detect/prevent/protect/respond/recover stack after that. (Or whatever RMADS calms it).

A wanna cry style infection won't happen to operational systems. Some fools irrelevant laptop, maybe.

Stuxnet was an attack on industrial systems, a *very* different world than warships. And in the peanut end of the world.

Correct. But creating an air gap does not mean invulnerable. The ships computers do not work in isolation and there will be updates.

Tin Pot

Guru
There are ways of attacking air gapped systems. The only safe solution is to build in security.

And other than seeing a boot screen or desktop image, what leads you to believe HMS Queen Elizabeth does not have security built in?

Drago

Legendary Member
Or that the procedures for introducing updates involve cross checking, testing of the updates in isolation for years (yes, years) on a test set up that replicates the ship system, by vetted personnel who are watched like hawks by other vetted personnel? Never say never as human ingenuity knows no bounds, but its many orders of magnitude more difficult than the armchair experts understand it to be.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm amazed how fast it dropped off the BBC news page. Lots of people in the IT community crowing about others not updating, even when all the info wasn't in.
Seems this one can be prevented from running by putting a read only file called 'perfc.' In c:\windows.

So it's time to blame some victims and move on without rethinking email, bitcoin, or how all this can apparently be done with ease.

Possibly. I wouldn't be confident until the whole thing is unravelled and analysed with confidence. Rumours of trojans also contained within it, for example.

Signatures are out for AV and NIPS, and of course the patch has been around for ages, so if you get hit now your CIO needs to be answering the tough questions.

Some more info:
https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/petya-ransomware-outbreak-here-s-what-you-need-know?om_ext_cid=biz_social_NAM_twitter_Asset Type - Blog,Petya

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
And other than seeing a boot screen or desktop image, what leads you to believe HMS Queen Elizabeth does not have security built in?

No doubt there is, but is it adequate?

Or that the procedures for introducing updates involve cross checking, testing of the updates in isolation for years (yes, years) on a test set up that replicates the ship system, by vetted personnel who are watched like hawks by other vetted personnel? Never say never as human ingenuity knows no bounds, but its many orders of magnitude more difficult than the armchair experts understand it to be.

For a warship, a lot of work could go into seeking to compromise its systems.

I assume you are equally exercised by the police emphasis on securely locking your bike?

I lock my bike and am happy I've done something to secure it. I'll question if the lock or chain are still strong enough periodically, and check them for signs of tampering. There seems to be no forward progress in making the lamp post to which I've chained it more resilient to being sawn through.

Top Bottom