Rant time !! pressure washers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Dayvo said:
Just sack the c*nt ;)

When I was a lad the foreman used to say 'if you don't like it you can clock out and f*ck off' - halcyon days!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Anything gone 'bang' yet ?

Keep us posted !

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Ohhhh yesss, i knew it. We (i) had bets on what'd fail...
So, :wacko: where do i start ? :biggrin:
Its a small conveying / weighing block of machinery. Turned it on....no display on the weighcell programmer. Hmmm
Check the trips in the main panel, all ok.
Open the local control box, first thing i saw was there are no PLCs powered up either. See if there's any fuses in there...yes. 1 fuse blown.
Replace fuse which is a bit of a dead loss really, cos you know its going to go again....and it did.
Replaced again and watch carefully as you start different sections of the machine, see whats operating when the fuse blows.
Just at that point the programmer went off at the same time as the fuse. Ok, we got a problem there (probably). Isolate the programmer, replace the fuse, all the rest of the machine works. So its the programmer. Opened its enclosure, there's water in there.

:smile::evil:Now he's going to sweat.
Shrug my shoulders, we havnt got a spare (we have and i know it) He's getting all concerned now. Told him i'd have a look but took my time, had a look on Cyclechat, cup of tea,...maybe 2 hours later...oooh look ive found one :biggrin:

Installed, now all i've got to do is program it up :wacko: and right now, i havnt got a clue. Never done one before.
44 pages of manual....xx( ah well, tomorrows works already laid out.

I'd fully expect some bearings to fail in the next few weeks as well :sad:

I keep thinking i should have told him again and again...but i already have over the last 5 or so years. Short of doing the job yourself or standing over them...what can you do...i'm a busy man....honest :biggrin:

simonali

Guru
Sounds like someone needs to make the machine idiot-proof. You get good at it after all the years I've spent working with idiots!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
simonali said:
Sounds like someone needs to make the machine idiot-proof. You get good at it after all the years I've spent working with idiots!

This almost prompted me to start another thread...working with idiots !!!

I'm not perfect, i certainly dont know everything, i'm not even qualified to do what i do, just trained on site and took a great interest in it all. Electrics, even simple electronics isnt so difficult to fault find if you understand the layout.

Some months ago, they (the company) suggested i had someone i could train to do the basics when i'm not there. (:wacko:blind leading the blind perhaps :blush:)

Out of maybe 60 people on our side of the site...i could think of one guy i could trust to be sensible....just plain sensible is a hard thing to find in people.
The companies suggestions of candidates got an abrupt...NO. I just cant work with idiots, i'd become a gibbering wreck.

Norm

Dayvo said:
No, I missed my vocation, I suppose, but I don't suffer fools gladly! :cry:

Landslide said:
Good thing you don't work in HR then.
Sounds to me like he is perfectly qualified to work in HR. :blush: :biggrin:

simonali said:
Idiot proof is there to prove who the idiots are.

gbb, can you not just take the fuse out of the pressure washer? Sounds like this pratt is high on the numpty scale, so he'd never work out what was wrong.

Alternatively, get him to clean the pressure washer with the pressure washer. If he stuff 200psi of water in it hard enough, we should be able to hear the bang from here. :biggrin:

Beardie

We've got a nice situation at work, where an automated van washer has actually been replaced with two hand-held pressure washer guns. That's the first cockup: the second is that the corner they've been installed in is too small for more than one van at a time, so only one gun can be used at a time. Also, there used to be a hosepipe with a brush on the end, which was much more effective, but people would tear the brush off to use the hose to fill washer bottles and radiator header tanks. That's now beyond repair.

The pressure washer can be fun, though. Some of our van tail-lifts are really rusty and it is interesting to see how large a plate of rust and bubbled paint can be removed with it.

simonali

Guru
They're mostly pretty good at our place. They use the pressure washer for foaming stuff and floors and wash off the foam with a standard hose. Makes my life easy!

Top Bottom