rant time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

bus north bound on Waterloo Bridge. I see him coming in my bar end mirror and move out to ensure that he doesn't give me that favourite London bus overtake manoeuvre when you get 6 inches and a large gust of wind as they buzz past at 40mph. So he has to move out to the outside lane and do a proper overtake. Thing is it's getting close to the bus stop he needs to get into. There's also another cyclist further up from me but closer to the kerb.

So you'd think he would wait behind and get into the stop without cutting anybody up but oh no he's a London bus driver so he goes for the overtake.

Now the ignorant bus driver has to work out in his pea brain head how to get back into the bus stop now he's on the outside. Maybe he can set the passengers down on the outside lane but even he knows he can't do that as he can't remember that part in his driving lessons so he goes past both me and the other cyclist beeping his horn intermittently to tell us that he is now going to cut in across us both and we're supposed to get out of his way.

Ignorant, selfish and stupid. London bus drivers just get worse.

Cab

LOGAN 5 said:
Ignorant, selfish and stupid. London bus drivers just get worse.

You get a few of those everywhere I'm afraid :smile:

Maz

Guru
Bad luck there, Logan.

Hats off to anyone who cycle commutes in London. I'd be scared sh1tless of all that extra traffic I'd have to face. I imagine drivers drive more aggressively, too.

Molecule Man

Happens a lot there, you just have to take the lane to force the bus to overtake you with enough escape room on your left, but be prepared to hang back if it becomes clear the bus is going to cut you up. Did this one pull in front of you?

I have had London bus drivers ignore passengers hailing them at a bus stop because they are so desperate to overtake me!

There is an online bus complaint form here:
https://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/contact/default.asp?type=buses
I have used this to good effect in the past.

LLB

Maz said:
Bad luck there, Logan.

Hats off to anyone who cycle commutes in London. I'd be scared sh1tless of all that extra traffic I'd have to face. I imagine drivers drive more aggressively, too.

Bus, Taxi, & Couriers are the worst IMO. They think that because they drive for a living, it gives them more right to be there over others !

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
Bad luck there, Logan.

Cheers Maz. We are indeed a special breed of super hard commuters. There is no shame in admitting that you wouldn't have the balls to do it yourself.

I agree that buses generally tend to be okay, black cabs are total scum though, they never miss a chance to **** you up, they will actually undertake, forcing you into the outside lane in order to get to the lights first, total bunch of c***s. This is why I never miss a chance to get one over on one of them either! :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Maz said:
Bad luck there, Logan.

Ahahahaha! No mate, it's easy and not scary to ride in London because traffic is slower and for the most part is much better at dealing with cyclists.

Logan, pity you didn't have a camera! I hope you took the bus details and wrote in a complaint though.

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

didn't write in to complain this time. Bus drivers are so consistently bad I'd be writing every day so reserve that for the most serious cases.

Somebody asked if he had pulled out in front of me....no he was just speeding as they tend to do across the bridge inches away from the tiny cycle lane which eventually stops and turns into a normal width bus lane at the north end of the bridge - together with really dodgy road surface - holes and sunken tarmac where large vehicle wheels indent it - a real hazard on 2 wheels if you didn't know it was there.

jashburnham

You should complain. If we all complained everytime this happened then maybe the bus companies/TFL would have to do something. Standard of bus driving seems to be getting progressively worse.

Tynan

Veteran
I find buses usually very good, presumably there's the odd road layout that galls them

black cabs ditto, they invariably wait for me to move over before getting arsey, I even got a flash of the indicators this morning for letting one through

scaffold trucks by their nature are death on wheels, best given a birth

as ever, people movers and those stoopid oversize 4x4s are the antichrist

jmaccyd

black cabs are total scum though, they never miss a chance to **** you up, they will actually undertake, forcing you into the outside lane in order to get to the lights first, total bunch of c***s.

Hmmm, I drive a London Taxi, am a very keen cyclist and in 15 years of driving a cab (approx 400 000 passenger miles) I havn't injured or hit anyone. I give generously to charity, believe in world peace and am working towards higher enlightenment. Er...well I made the last three up but I know SOME London Taxi Driver's who have a very negative opionion of all cyclists because of the behaviour of SOME cyclists. I always argue that it is STUPID and BIGOTED to collectively label a large group becuase of the actions of a minority. Hell what do I know, after all I'm a total c****

As for my views of driving in London, I grow sader and more shocked as the years pass. London Bus Driver's used to be the Gold Standard, completly professional with superb manners and skills. With time standards have dropped and you do now see bus driving, from a minority, that is really unacceptable. Skip and construction lorries are a real danger to all traffic but particularly for those on two wheels. Have sadly witnesed many tragic colllisions but none worse than seeing a pedestrian go under the wheels of a skip lorry:sad:;)

Top Bottom