Rapha Merino Arm & Leg Warmers – alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I didn't have much choice but to look at synthetic alternatives as there's not a lot out there in terms of merino. Pearsons appears to be closest thing to Rapha but they are sold out of leg-warmers (they do still have the arm-warmers though). De Marchi also have merino warmers but I don't think I want to take the risk on the sizing as returning anything to Italy is a complete nightmare at present as Italian Customs are currently in IT meltdown!

I have recently tried some synthetic alternatives all of which I still had issues with the fit with although certainly improved over Rapha's arm warmers. The synthetic fabrics were not nearly as nice in terms of comfort compared to the merino although I do appreciate merino does have a downside. Does anyone produce the merino in Navy/Blue - all I see is black when I find them.
For nice navy blue stuff look up Chapeau!

vickster

Legendary Member
See if sportpursuit have any deals?

Condor have black merino arm warmers
https://www.condorcycles.com/collec...condor-merino-arm-warmers?variant=36249368202

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Attachments

• 7F33594A-19DB-4AD6-A98E-733AC0F5D15B.jpeg
    7F33594A-19DB-4AD6-A98E-733AC0F5D15B.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4

yello

My honest initial gut response was 'not merino'. I'm a fan but don't think it'd work as arm or leg warmers. Merino is good as a layer for warmth but less impressive as an outer for wind proofing (or you can read that as 'sod all use as a windproof layer' if you like)

I do have a pair of Rapha arm warmers (couldn't tell you the material blend) but can confirm that they are seemingly made for, achem, noodle armed cyclists :laugh: My leg warmers are Lusso, water resistant and a tad on the warm side. Arm warmers... can't think. I'll go and have a look in a mo!

Edit: they're Assos, I must have been feeling flush that week!

I guess though one really ought consider purpose and your own 'traits'. On the latter, I tend to run hot so keeping warm is not so much an issue than simply keeping the wind out - so my need is more for an outer barrier.

On the former, as a general rule, I kind of think of arm or leg warmers as a temporary measure. That is, you're going to be out for a while and anticipating the weather to change. For example, an early start and riding all day; stick the arm/leg warmers on to start and then remove them as the day warms up. Or, conversely, doing an overnight ride when you know temperatures will drop and you'll be in need. You can't tog up in full bibs and jacket because you'll overheat in the heat of the day, but you can stick on arm and leg warmers (and a gillet) when temperatures drop. I'm not saying that's there only use (you can, of course, wear them whenever) but, for me, it's certainly where they come into their own.

Last edited:

Wooger

My honest initial gut response was 'not merino'. I'm a fan but don't think it'd work as arm or leg warmers. Merino is good as a layer for warmth but less impressive as an outer for wind proofing (or you can read that as 'sod all use as a windproof layer' if you like)

I do have a pair of Rapha arm warmers (couldn't tell you the material blend) but can confirm that they are seemingly made for, achem, noodle armed cyclists :laugh: My leg warmers are Lusso, water resistant and a tad on the warm side. Arm warmers... can't think. I'll go and have a look in a mo!

Edit: they're Assos, I must have been feeling flush that week!

I guess though one really ought consider purpose and your own 'traits'. On the latter, I tend to run hot so keeping warm is not so much an issue than simply keeping the wind out - so my need is more for an outer barrier.

On the former, as a general rule, I kind of think of arm or leg warmers as a temporary measure. That is, you're going to be out for a while and anticipating the weather to change. For example, an early start and riding all day; stick the arm/leg warmers on to start and then remove them as the day warms up. Or, conversely, doing an overnight ride when you know temperatures will drop and you'll be in need. You can't tog up in full bibs and jacket because you'll overheat in the heat of the day, but you can stick on arm and leg warmers (and a gillet) when temperatures drop. I'm not saying that's there only use (you can, of course, wear them whenever) but, for me, it's certainly where they come into their own.
Or just avoid buying a whole duplicate range of long sleeved jerseys for the “shoulder seasons”.

Top Bottom