Rapha Merino Arm & Leg Warmers – alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark pallister

Where does he say that ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think merino wool is a bit flawed as a arm warmer as it doesn't have much natural elasticity, therefore you have to make the cuff ends very grippy.

with a "normal" roubaix lycra or whatever material it is, the whole length of it grips so the cuff doesn't need to be as tight.

legs / knee warmers less of an issue as your shorts help to keep them in place

I think merino wool is a bit flawed as a arm warmer as it doesn't have much natural elasticity, therefore you have to make the cuff ends very grippy.

with a "normal" roubaix lycra or whatever material it is, the whole length of it grips so the cuff doesn't need to be as tight.

legs / knee warmers less of an issue as your shorts help to keep them in place
agree - merino is great for certain things, but such is the fashion for it it has been adopted for various other things.
For all I know Rapha does merino underpants, handkerchiefs, merkins etc etc.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Rapha Classic
Rapha 500
Now introducing the new Rapha Porky range. ^_^
mustang1, jokes aside the average size of a man's bicep is 35 cm. Rapha's Merino Arm Warmers in size Large measures 24 cm at the gripper and stretches out to a maximum of 32 cm. go figure.

vickster

Legendary Member
mustang1, jokes aside the average size of a man's bicep is 35 cm. Rapha's Merino Arm Warmers in size Large measures 24 cm at the gripper and stretches out to a maximum of 32 cm. go figure.
made with skinny racing snakes in mind clearly (or just get XXXXL)...or give your money to a firm making products that are realistically sized :okay:

mustang1

Legendary Member
FIFY:
mustang1, jokes aside the average size of a male bicep is 15 cm. Rapha's Merino Arm Warmers in size Large measures 24 cm at the gripper and stretches out to a maximum of 32 cm. go figure.
^_^

Last edited:
OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Maybe @cool_hand can say whether he’ll also consider synthetic alternatives 👍🏻
I didn't have much choice but to look at synthetic alternatives as there's not a lot out there in terms of merino. Pearsons appears to be closest thing to Rapha but they are sold out of leg-warmers (they do still have the arm-warmers though). De Marchi also have merino warmers but I don't think I want to take the risk on the sizing as returning anything to Italy is a complete nightmare at present as Italian Customs are currently in IT meltdown!

I have recently tried some synthetic alternatives all of which I still had issues with the fit with although certainly improved over Rapha's arm warmers. The synthetic fabrics were not nearly as nice in terms of comfort compared to the merino although I do appreciate merino does have a downside. Does anyone produce the merino in Navy/Blue - all I see is black when I find them.

Top Bottom