Rapid fire shifters.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
My left hand one which changes the rear cogs sometimes doesnt change,it has a feel like there is nothing there,as if there is no cable attached and its just the lever moving for a few tries then something catches and it works for a while again.Iv checked to see if there is anything loose but all seems fine,the lever has no play either,any ideas anyone? Its not an expensive set and iv had them a few years, is this the slippery slope and can i expect to need to replace them soon,or is there something im missing?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I had that once I sprayed it in WD40 works all right now

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
numbnuts said:
I had that once I sprayed it in WD40 works all right now

I hadnt thought of that with it being so smooth still? Cheers ill give it a go.

jpembroke

ratchets do wear out on shifters resulting in 'dead' shifts. I tend to replace them when that happens although I do have some ancient STis that did this, then stopped for some reason and have been fine on my 'cross bike ever since. Maybe something fell back in to place.

jayce

same as ben says need to change the shifters if the left is for the rear . take the cable out of its sleeve and check the inner is ok then some light oil then give it a whirl

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Ben_3 said:
left hand one should be the front, not rear.

I replaced the twist grip shifters when i got the bike,and that was the way they were,it hadnt crossed my mind and hasnt been a problem.

Top Bottom